• Register
  • Help

Topic: suggestion for Sample developers: subscription buys?

Share/Bookmark

suggestion for Sample developers: subscription buys?

Just some ideas here. Many Sample developers have got a lot more market-savvy with their price strategies, and are solidifying customer loyalty with bundlles, discounts, pre-orders, etc. My general impression is that sample material is getting a bit more affordable in many ways.

A welcome trend for composers of course. I'd like to make another suggestion: subscription models.

There are a bunch of developers whose products I rate highly and who keep coming out with great stuff. Naturally I won't buy it all, but I'd love to have it all, sooner or later! Mostly I wait until a specific project comes up which calls for a product, but if you have it sooner, you use it sooner. I trust these developers to continue coming up with stuff which I would like to add to my library-sooner or later.

Let's say I would maybe spend $500 on a particular developers' products in one year. If I paid this developer maybe $35-40/month, we would both have a good handle on our cashflow. Another option would be a yearly subscription, where you pay one lump sum and are then entitled to all products which come out that year.

A few developers who come to mind (and have been perticularly interesting for me the last year or two) are Spectrasonics (of course), Tonehammer, 9 Volt Audio, Sonic Couture, BelaD Media....

One final request: if I could exchange all the customer points I get from the gas station for filling up my car for a new copy of Trillian; that would be very nice too- Eric? ;-)

Nigel

Re: suggestion for Sample developers: subscription buys?

the catch for the consumer is that subscription costs have to be affordable enough to warrant the risk when they aren't 100% sure what they'll be getting. the catch for the developer is they are then under the gun to get stuff out the door, since in effect their products have been pre-paid for. puremagnetik works in this manner, and their products are small enough and easy enough to develop that they avoid the potential issues.

i think you're on the right track though. i can't help but think that the 'group buy/special deal' mindset is really harming the industry over the long term. the practice is so prevalent that we expect it. e.g. i could never imagine paying full price for an ew product, since they seem to be running some special or another every single month.

my two cents: i actually prefer the smaller 'a la carte' services (like puremagnetik, lyrical distortion, soniccouture, etc) where you buy one thing, and that one thing is done very well. the larger products in the sample library realm are in a way bundles, and as such you often end up buying stuff you never use that does nothing but take up hard drive space. also, bundled products can help to hide individual instruments that might have some programming and/or individual sample issues.

Subscription model is a bad way to go on both sides.
    The only successful one is Wusik.com. It's $9 a month and comes with a bi monthly magazine, sounds and updates to Wusikstation. The focus is on one product.

I love group buys.

A developer has to worry about subscription being canceled especially at $35-$40 month.

I like a la carte. Group buys still rock and they are not harming the industry. They bring out the impulsive buyer. IK Multimedia seems to do that well.

Quote Originally Posted by scientist View Post

my two cents: i actually prefer the smaller 'a la carte' services (like puremagnetik, lyrical distortion, soniccouture, etc) where you buy one thing, and that one thing is done very well. the larger products in the sample library realm are in a way bundles, and as such you often end up buying stuff you never use that does nothing but take up hard drive space. also, bundled products can help to hide individual instruments that might have some programming and/or individual sample issues.
    I agree with this 100%. I would love it if all developers would sell individual instruments at a loWEr price. I heard EW was going to do this with their Play products. I would love to buy the welsh singer in VOP but do not want the rest of the library. If they sold that one sample set for around $50 I'd buy it. Same with the ehru in Silk. Plus it's way easier to take a chance on a smaller piece (and talk the wife into it )

With all of this said I hope that prices don't drop so low that developers give up on making great new product. iI seems, with this "global economy/internet mindset" that everything should be free or super cheap. Is it just me or does the creation of music seems to be worth very little these days?

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Go Back to forum