• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Long Time No See

Share/Bookmark

Long Time No See

Hello, there.

After 28 years of my absence from the academic persuit of the harmony and counterpoint, I decided to resume the study under my former teacher.

When I stopped my study, I was 24 and he was 41. Now we are 52 and 69. (Calculation right?) 28 years of gap was very big and I almost forgot all the detail of musical theory. But, I feel as if I experienced a time slip to 28 years ago when I restarted the study. Fortunately, my teacher is still very well (with some troubles with his eyes though), and I am reasonably ok with some health issues.

Since this spring, I have covered the basics of harmony and now reached the level of trying "Challan donnes". As for counterpoint, I am now struggling with 3 voice counterpoint and which is quite a difficult puzzle.

So, that is the reason why I have not fired up my SONAR or Finale for these several months. I am now in almost purely in the world of pencil and paper.

The study seems to take at least 4-5 years more. 5 years later, GPO and other Garritan products should have developed to the stage I cannot imagine right now. I look forward to utilize them.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: Long Time No See

Well, there you are! I thought perhaps you had ran into trouble while searching the bottom of Yokohama Harbor searching for my cornet mouthpiece! I have been watching for your return.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    I thought perhaps you had ran into trouble while searching the bottom of Yokohama Harbor searching for my cornet mouthpiece!
    Richard,

I did not dive into the Yokohama Harbor but somehow have two alto-saxophone mouthpieces, Yamaha and Selmer.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Thumbs up Re: Long Time No See

Jun, nice to see you again here, and
    such good news. Disregarding the common love for the history of music that can drive to study Harmony and Counterpoint, I think that simply taking the time for doing something we loved again in the middle-age of the life is always a nice event.

And being us musicians, what better than music? For instance I started back 3 years ago playing and singing live in an early music ensamble, as I was doing between 20 and 30 (and now I'm 43...so only 10 years of gap...but it's quite a bit...).

And taking some new challenge is so exciting: I played Oboe and Keyboards (Harpsichord, Organ..etc.), but I never had a mouthpice on my lips...
    Now using my fingering ability and early music performance competence, I started studying one of the most instable and difficult instrument ever, the renaissance cornett. I did it because of the sound so soft and expressive, in the middle between Oboe and Trumpet, disregarding the technical challenge...and now I can play accurately internal parts in poliphonic ensambles: that's for me already a pure pleasure (I think playing live in ensamble is one of the most beautiful experience of life).

...next steps solo parts...(in a couple of years of technical improvement, if God will...)

I'm a supporter of you: hit hard and never give up...but first of all...ENJOY!!!

sincerely,
    Fabio

Hi Jun,

It's been a while. Last time we communicated, I sent you a sax soundfont, a freebie of astonishing quality.

I periodically check your website and notice that you have added a couple of new pieces. Can you comment on them--the libraries, method of realization, etc?

I wish you well on your renewed studies.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    And being us musicians, what better than music? For instance I started back 3 years ago playing and singing live in an early music ensamble, as I was doing between 20 and 30 (and now I'm 43...so only 10 years of gap...but it's quite a bit...).

And taking some new challenge is so exciting: I played Oboe and Keyboards (Harpsichord, Organ..etc.), but I never had a mouthpice on my lips...
    Now using my fingering ability and early music performance competence, I started studying one of the most instable and difficult instrument ever, the renaissance cornett. I did it because of the sound so soft and expressive, in the middle between Oboe and Trumpet, disregarding the technical challenge...and now I can play accurately internal parts in poliphonic ensambles: that's for me already a pure pleasure (I think playing live in ensamble is one of the most beautiful experience of life).

...next steps solo parts...(in a couple of years of technical improvement, if God will...)
    You amazed me. What a multi-talented musician you are !

I'm a supporter of you: hit hard and never give up...but first of all...ENJOY!!!
    Thank you very much. Certainly I will. (But this syncopated-counterpoint thing is.... AAAAAAAAGGGHHHH
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    It's been a while. Last time we communicated, I sent you a sax soundfont, a freebie of astonishing quality.

I periodically check your website and notice that you have added a couple of new pieces. Can you comment on them--the libraries, method of realization, etc?

I wish you well on your renewed studies.
    Thank you, Bill.

Most of my purely classical pieces are written on Finale (2008) and converted into MIDI data with Human Playback. MIDI data is fed to SONAR (5) and final tweaking is done. SONAR carries GPO, Strad, and Gofriller as VST instruments. I am not really into the mix stuff. The result is output as WAV file. Then converted into mp3 with lame.

Did I answer your question?
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Yes, thank you, Jun. The Strad and Gofriller are very nice sounding. I'm also impressed by the effect of Human Playback feature, which I assume is adding naturalness to otherwise strictly notated music. Of course, the technology is only of benefit when the musicality is also fine, as I think yours is.
    Bill

Good to hear from you Jun.
    Styxx

Hi Jun

Welcome back and nice to see you again.

Its good to hear you are resuming study with your former teacher (he must be very good for you to seek him out after all those years).

Being in the world of pencil and paper seems so refreshing. One can get so caught up in the digital world and there can be a disconnect. Hope you are inspired and enjoying your studies.

Hope to see you more often and thanks for coming by again.

My best,

Gary

Go Back to forum