• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quickest way too install and update old GPO version

Share/Bookmark

Quickest way too install and update old GPO version

After not making music for quite some time, I am ready to begin again. I already ordered Sonar 8.5 PE and Windows 7 64 bit. I own the very first version of GPO (4 cd's). I also already have the GPO_KP2_223U_Win update (plus the required GPO K2 serial).

Now I remember there should be a way to install GPO without really installing the original old version... but I forgot how to do it (and it that's true). I somehow remember (because I've used KP2 before) I could install the GPO_KP2_223U_Win and AFTER that install (somehow) all GPO samples... by copying them of the cd's or something like that... I am installing my complete system form the ground up and I'd like to install as little as possible, so if I can skip the installing of the old GPO version, that would be nice...

I also already downloaded the KontaktPlayer2_224_Win update: if my story above (about installing only the KP2 player and the sampes) is right, would it also be possible to skip GPO_KP2_223U_Win and only install KontaktPlayer2_224_Win right away...?

Apart from that (to make things even more complicated) I also downloaded KontaktPlayer3_350U_Win, but I've read that it is heavier on the CPU and doesn't really offer something I could benefit from...?

Of course, I could also skip all this and simply get the GPO4 with Aria update... I presume I could download that one (after paying for it, of course) and install that one right away...? Or does it also require me to install the old version first? But I've already spend a lot of money and I doubt if GPO4 will give me something I really need...

Re: Quickest way too install and update old GPO version

No need to install from original CDs but you will need to copy some files from them.

Install 2.2.3 first, it has the library files for KP2. The 2.2.4 update is the player only.

Then copy the 3 sample files from the CDs into the GPO folder
    GPO_Library_part1.nks
    GPO_Library_part2.nks
    GPO_Library_part3.nks

Great, thanks! That's indeed the simple and straightforward method I was hoping for.

Hm, maybe it's a good idea to get the GPO4 upgrade... That Aria seems to be nice and you get new sounds too. But... can I upgrade from my old GPO version...? Is ANY version good enough to upgrade from? And will I get to download the COMPLETE GPO4 version? That would be nice, because then I won't have to mess around with all kinds of old installers and NI KP-updates...!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
    No need to install from original CDs but you will need to copy some files from them.

Install 2.2.3 first, it has the library files for KP2. The 2.2.4 update is the player only.

Then copy the 3 sample files from the CDs into the GPO folder
    GPO_Library_part1.nks
    GPO_Library_part2.nks
    GPO_Library_part3.nks
    BTW Is this method also possible with KP3.5...? Can I install that one without installing 2.x and add the .nks files later on? (Still in doubt about GPO4 update.)

Quote Originally Posted by J van E View Post
    BTW Is this method also possible with KP3.5...? Can I install that one without installing 2.x and add the .nks files later on? (Still in doubt about GPO4 update.)
    You need the 2.2.3 installer to install the library files. You can try skipping the Player install and then installing 3.5, but don't be surprised if it doesn't activate properly.

For future reference... I installed Kontakt Player 3.5 (not the full 280 Mb installer, because it didn't work on my system, but the 80 Mb 3.5 update, which, to my big surprise also installed a full version of KP3.5...). I installed 3.5 for the Scarbee Pre-Bass I bought. After that I tried to get the GPO files (which I copied from the cd's) into KP3.5, but it just didn't work. So I installed the KP2.2.3 installer, moved the GPO-files in the KP2 directory and after that I loaded KP2 in Sonar: it found the samples and all at once! After that I loaded KP3.5 and it also automatically found GPO! So I excluded KP2 from Sonar and now I can use GPO with KP3.5.

Took me a few hours to figure it all out and install it all, but it works now...

Quote Originally Posted by J van E View Post
    Hm, maybe it's a good idea to get the GPO4 upgrade... That Aria seems to be nice and you get new sounds too. But... can I upgrade from my old GPO version...? Is ANY version good enough to upgrade from? And will I get to download the COMPLETE GPO4 version? That would be nice, because then I won't have to mess around with all kinds of old installers and NI KP-updates...!
    I just did the upgrade from the very first release of GPO without much problem (nothing a reinstall of GPO4 didn't fix). Much easier than dealing with NI and their archaic verification system.

Go Back to forum