• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS XP -- options?

GOS XP -- options?

Wow this forum is unbelievable - haven't been here for a long time.

Ok, what is the best available option for running the original GOS if you have an XP machine. Can't get my old gigastudio 96 running on it so I assume today's xp doesn't support it.

Seems impossible that all that great work is unusable today???

Re: GOS XP -- options?

Importing the .gig files into Kontakt is an option.

Just came back for the first time in ages looking for info on this very thing. I rarely fire up the Giga machine anymore and I really miss GOS. I was hoping maybe someone had done some nki. programming for it but I guess either way one has to do the .gig--> .wav conversion one's self. Arrggh! *lol*

I am running the full GOS with Maestro Tools (and their updates) on my current XP machine with GigaStudio 160. I accidentally found the old GS 160 version 2.54.0039 and 2.54.0048 updates on an old Zip disk. They were both necessary to install correctly (and in numerical order). All they require is your original serial number -- no authentication necessary, and you do not have to install the original version 2, either (the updates install as standalone applications). If you can still find them anywhere on the Internet, and you are the licensed owner of the original GigaStudio discs, then you are authorized to install these updates. (I also have the GSNFX 4 files for both updates, but I don't know if those are still available, either.)

One note on installation: When it asks for your CD containing the GigaPiano, at least on my computer, it refuses to "find" the CD. The solution is simply to skip that step and manually copy the GigaPiano to the hard drive. It works just fine.

Then you can install the complete GOS library (mine has 20 CDs that include two updates) and Maestro Tools.

I do not know if you can update further to TASCAM's GigaStudio versions 3 and/or 4 because I never bought them, but version 2.54 works just fine on my XP machine (2.80 GHz P4 CPU with 1 Gb RAM).

I would be glad to answer anyone's questions about my setup if they are interested. My email address is available.
    Last edited by bionicbub; 01-12-2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to add GOS installation

What sequencer are your using?
    How do you use GOS? Do you have templates set up with like violins 1 ( with specfic articulations or all articulations? I've owned GOS for like 3 years and I've never been able to get a good workflow with it. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. I still think that GOS is top contender.

I still use GOS on my old Dell that I bought when I got into midi back in 2004. I bought GS3 in order to use GOS. I currently have XP Home Edition with Service Pack2, and still use an RME HDSP 9652 soundcard.

Works great and so does Maestro Tools.

GsPop --

I agree wholeheartedly that GOS is "top contender," as you put it. Just as a side note: I hope now that Garritan has bought the Giga technology rights, we will be able to continue to use the GOS library AS IS. I detest the thought of being forced to translate the samples into other formats. They were designed as GigaSamples, and in my opinion, they will always work best in that format.

Now to answer some of your questions.

I use GigaStudio to set up the instrument templates that you asked about. I don't know how anything is done in GS versions 3 or 4, because I never bought them after Nemesys sold out to TASCAM. I had no confidence at all in TASCAM/Teac's use of that fabulous Conexant engine, but GigaStudio version 2.54 works just fine for me.

I use SONAR 6 Studio Edition for my primary sequencer, with GigaStudio set up as a virtual instrument as described in the Nemesys version of the GigaStudio documentation.

I also use GigaStudio with Finale 2003 and with Overture 4.1, both of which allow you to use the four GigaStudio outputs as MIDI outs, for a total of 64 possible MIDI channels, which I have used in the past. The documentation for both of these notation programs covers the specifics quite well, I think. I use Overture for smaller ensembles, and I use Finale for larger orchestral scores.

By setting up the templates in GigaStudio, they are always available no matter which sequencer or notation program you are using (i.e., you can use the same templates with all programs). And I have found it very easy to change patches, etc., with MIDI controller data. I do most of my work with MIDI controller data.

For fast input, I use a Fatar SL-1100 full-size, weighted 88-key keyboard, which makes working with the Key-Switched (KS) GOS samples very fast and easy. Editing the MIDI data is a no-brainer once I have all the notes in and the correct patch changes to go with them.

I have been a firm believer in the Gilreath "MIDI Orchestration" book for the last ten years. It has more PRACTICALLY useful information than a dozen orchestration textbooks, which I also have, including the latest edition of Samuel Adler's comprehensive orchestration textbook with the fabulous CD collection that has video and audio clips. (I first met Sam Adler in 1969 when I was one of the performers in a world premiere of one of his works -- called "Begin, My Muse" for male chorus and percussion ensemble, which was commissioned by Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, of which I am also a lifetime alumni member.)

Please let me know if there is anything else you would like to know. At the moment, my studio is in somewhat of a tumultuous state because my last previous computer died in November and someone gave me a newer one for Christmas, so I'm in the midst of setting everything up again from scratch, which is how I discovered my long-lost copies of the GigaStudio updates I mentioned above. I had no idea I still had them until I found that ancient Zip disc!!!

Once my "new" studio is completely set up, my first priority will be exploring how I can best set up and use the GOS library along with GPO4. I believe that combination should be extremely powerful, don't you think?
    Arvid Hand

Quote Originally Posted by bionicbub View Post
    GsPop --

I don't know how anything is done in GS versions 3 or 4, because I never bought them after Nemesys sold out to TASCAM. I had no confidence at all in TASCAM/Teac's use of that fabulous Conexant engine, but GigaStudio version 2.54 works just fine for me.
    I upgraded to v3 to get Rewire, so I could run it on my Pro Tools machine and get more digital channels than from my RME 9632 (16 vs 8). But it's very buggy; if Giga is in the background w/ PT, notes often hang. So I moved it back to its original location and installed an M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge (32 digital channels). It's on XP Pro and only crashes [spontaneously reboots the computer] a couple times a day.

Unfortunately, I need a new string library ASAP, and only a combination of 6 VSL libraries (~$8k) would give me all the articulations in GOS. The only other library that comes close in LA Scoring Strings, which has a lot of great divisi patches and controllable glissandi, but no sul ponticello, sul tasto or col legno, and the recommended system is TWO quad-core machines or better.

Go Back to forum