• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Topic: Listening exercise containing electronic organ

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Listening exercise containing electronic organ

    Hi,

    Following on from my pipe organ listening exercise, here we have one featuring an electronic organ.

    The file is a 1.7 MB 128 kbps encoded mp3: http://www.btinternet.com/~veridical.sounds/electorg1.mp3

    The question is what is being used for the lead trombone sound that the organist is playing?

    Is it a sampled, real, physical modeled or re-synthesised instrument, or what else?

    Please don\'t be afraid to have a go and respond.

    Best regards
    Nicholas

  2. #2

    Re: Listening exercise containing electronic organ

    As far as I\'m concerned, there\'s nothing in that trom performance to indicate that it is sampled, and there\'s plenty of expression which suggests that it\'s the real McCoy.

  3. #3

    Re: Listening exercise containing electronic organ

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chadwick:
    As far as I\'m concerned, there\'s nothing in that trom performance to indicate that it is sampled, and there\'s plenty of expression which suggests that it\'s the real McCoy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hi Chadwick,

    Thanks very much for being the first to respond. Until I get some more responses, I won\'t yet reveal whether you are right or wrong. It is clear that you don\'t think the lead trombone sound that the organist is playing is sampled, especially given the amount of expression. Is it just the amount of expression that makes you think it is not sampled, or is there any other aspect of the sound or performance? Also, please tell me what you think precludes it from being, say, physical modeled and controlled via a wind controller?

    Best regards
    Nicholas
    p.s. For those who don\'t want to download the 1.7 MB excerpt, I\'ve also added a much shorter .25 MB 128 kbps mp3 that features a lead trumpet sound with the electronic organ. Same question applies, i.e. Is the organist playing that lead trumpet performance using a sampled, real, physical modeled or re-synthesised instrument, or what else? The small file is: http://www.btinternet.com/~veridical.sounds/electorg2.mp3



  4. #4

    Re: Listening exercise containing electronic organ

    Well, I\'ve been wrong before, but I\'ve got to go with a real trombone player on this one. I heard some notes that were slightly out of tune as though the player missed the position on that note, and a couple of \"burbled\" notes where there was a slip of the lip. If it\'s not real, it is the best job of synthesization of a trombone I\'ve ever heard (and I\'m a trombone player).

    -- Martin

  5. #5

    Re: Listening exercise containing electronic organ

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mschiff:
    Well, I\'ve been wrong before, but I\'ve got to go with a real trombone player on this one. I heard some notes that were slightly out of tune as though the player missed the position on that note, and a couple of \"burbled\" notes where there was a slip of the lip. If it\'s not real, it is the best job of synthesization of a trombone I\'ve ever heard (and I\'m a trombone player).

    -- Martin
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Thanks very much Martin.
    Do you think, because a lot of sampled brass is almost too \'perfect\' and in-tune, that actually compromises \'realism\' since (as Chadwick might put it!) it foregoes the hallmarks of human beings.

    I myself, prefer \'human sounding\' performances, even if it means a few \"burbled\" notes.

    Best regards
    Nicholas


  6. #6

    Re: Listening exercise containing electronic organ

    Nicholash,

    I hadn\'t really thought about the issue of mistakes and intonation being an issue until this exercise, but I guess it is.

    Maybe that\'s why I leave some of my mistakes in place in my songs [grin].

    -- Martin

  7. #7

    Re: Listening exercise containing electronic organ

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mschiff:
    Nicholash,

    I hadn\'t really thought about the issue of mistakes and intonation being an issue until this exercise, but I guess it is.

    Maybe that\'s why I leave some of my mistakes in place in my songs [grin].

    -- Martin
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hi Martin,

    You too?! I was beginning to think that I was the only one that leaves mistakes in my music Not only does it help perceived \'realism\', but people seem much less jealous of it as well!

    Best regards
    Nicholas



  8. #8

    Re: Listening exercise containing electronic organ

    Nicholas, I\'ll go with a real trombone on this one. The other brass is obviously fake and being played in an \"organlike\" manner and if this is live playing I\'d say the organist is too busy to put in the pitch bend (and misbend) detail that\'s present in the \'bone part unless perhaps the whole remainder were a sequence. Watch me be wrong! - Doug

  9. #9

    Re: Listening exercise containing electronic organ

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Marshall:
    Nicholas, I\'ll go with a real trombone on this one. The other brass is obviously fake and being played in an \"organlike\" manner and if this is live playing I\'d say the organist is too busy to put in the pitch bend (and misbend) detail that\'s present in the \'bone part unless perhaps the whole remainder were a sequence. Watch me be wrong! - Doug<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hi Doug,
    Thanks very much for having a go.
    You are correct about the whole remainder being a sequence. The organist has his hands (and mouth) full just producing the lead trombone performance. Do you think it can only be a real trombone or do you think it could be a physical modeled instrument played via a wind controller?

    Best regards
    Nicholas
    p.s. Might you be kind enough to get the ball rolling with my \"Fun Listening Exercise\" because nobody has responded to that one as yet?

  10. #10

    Re: Listening exercise containing electronic organ

    Hi Nicholas,

    I\'m afraid I lack adequate familiarity with the physical modeling approach to answer your question. I\'ll venture that physical modeling might sound as convincing as the real thing in the hands of a true artist provided the listener hears them both through speakers (in other words, recorded). But in a live situation, particularly close up, I think you\'d always be able to discern some difference. - Doug

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •