• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My first Garritan piece - any feedback?

My first Garritan piece - any feedback?

Hey everyone

Would anyone like to give feedback on this small piece - my first try at a classical composition with Garritan.

In the Caribbean

Re: My first Garritan piece - any feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by reubencornell View Post
    Hey everyone

Would anyone like to give feedback on this small piece - my first try at a classical composition with Garritan.

Love it!! Hope I can learn to get such a nice sound. JoelG

Orcas Island

Beautiful work! For a first piece, you did a first rate job. I really like the introduction.

Since this area of the forum is for all libraries, and this piece uses all GPO, I hope you don't mind if I copy this post in the Garritan Listening Room also where it will get get some more feedback.

Thanks for posting this.

My best,

Gary Garritan

PS: the Soundcloud player is pretty cool.

What a great start! I enjoyed that very much. This is a well rendered and convincing piece. You make GPO sound really good.

If I might make one small suggestion: The solo instruments at the beginning (flute and clarinet) might sound more realistic with some small variations in volume. I try not to let the mod wheel stay still very long when performing a solo instrument. Gentle movements, I find, work best. I don't know what program you are using - sequencer or DAW - that would determine how this would actually be achieved, either in real time or drawing in the CC. My best results always come from real time input.

Thanks for sharing this, and look forward to hearing more from you.

A warm welcome for you and your music to the Garritan Listening Room.

You piece was very well organized and rendered. I would say that you
    have definite sample programming talent and composition chops as well.
    I hope to hear much more of your music in the near future because it
    is exceptional.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

A very cool first piece with GPO you did, reubencornell.

You are welcome!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Reuben, fantastic!

Welcome to the land of Garritan....
    where sample libraries cause you to create music!

I wasn't expecting such amazing feedback - thanks for the comments and the constructive feedback.

I'm going to keep posting pieces on here as I create them.

It's fantastic to be able to share with everybody as I have been listening to other's pieces on this forum for months.

Hi Reuben!

Let me add my warm welcome to those of my colleagues. This is an amazing group of people, I think you will find, as I have. There is so much talent on this forum, and yet with it, a great sensitivity to people's posts -- ie, you won't find people tearing others' work to shreds -- ever. This is firstly due to Gary Garritan and his kind nature which would encourage rather than discourage, and to the nature of all those on this forum. Those composers who are advanced help along those who are beginning, and so on. I myself have learned *alot* from people here, and owe them a great debt for gaining confidence as a composer. There is much expertise at the sound engineering end of things, too.

I think your piece is very lovely and atmostperic in the beginning -- I like the way you use reverb to add atmosphere and soften the sounds. Then the compelling beat that comes in I like as well. The strings sounded, to me, a bit clipped or muted compared to, say, a live performance -- was that intentional? (I do my music writing notes in Finale and am not as knowledgeable about tweaking sounds using anything other than Finale's articulation and dynamics...) If so, how did you do it? What software do you use?

the switch to a major chord around 0:35 made me sit up -- a beautiful touch.

Around 1:21, I like the "distant" effect of the trumpet -- and then it comes "closer" to the listener shortly thereafter.

Overall, this piece made me at first just feel like melting into the lovely music, and then made me think of a journey, perhaps one fraught with some urgency or peril. I think the end of this piece might benefit from a little more volume, similar to the beginning, but that is just an opinion, of course. I found myself turning up the volume at the end to hear every note.

Very nice work!! And again, a warm welcome!

Listen at: www.soundclick.com/kepeaceusa
    Scores at: http://stores.lulu.com/ke_peace

Thank you Karen,

I just scooted over to your page for a listen to your work too - very emotive and much more powerful then I'd ever have the guts to write at this time and with my knowledge.

At the moment I'm using a very basic laptop setup with GPO and Acid Pro doing the midi work. I've been trying to get to grips with Ableton live as I've heard it's much more user friendly than Acid although I've been using Acid for so many years that it's easier to stick woth what I know as it seems to have all the expression settings you could ask for.

It's funny you should mention the trumpet as I'm having a hard job making it sound as "real" as I would like to - any tips would be appreciated.

I've taken all of your great comments on board and tried to add a little more expression and even out some of the quieter passages - The ammended track is linked below. Do you guys think I'm on the right track?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast