• Register
  • Help

Topic: Staff limitations

Share/Bookmark

Staff limitations

I am working on a piece that requires the first violin to play a g 5 spaces above the treble clef. I know that the violin can play in this range, but when I try to insert the note, GPO throws me onto the timp staff above the 1st violin. How can I expand the violin range to include notes in tghis higher range?

Re: Staff limitations

Which program are you using to insert the notes?
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Which program are you using to insert the notes?
    Of course I left out the obvious. I am using Finale 2010 with recent upgrades.

I remember that this came up once before, but for the life of me I can't find the thread.

And your question makes me realize it is probably a Finale problem, not a GPO problem. *sigh* Oh well, maybe someone knows.

Logic Express has the same behaviour. You can try to circumvent it by inserting a high note and transposing it afterwards to the desired position, either with the mouse (which most likely will now not move notes between parts) or with some dialog, or some pre-assigned transpose key.
    Theo

You're using Simple Entry, right? You could enter a lower note, then use the arrow keys to move it up to G. Or enter the passage an octave lower than you want it, then use the Selection Tool to transpose it up an octave.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

you can also try leaving more space between staves to get to those high violin notes.

It's so hard to find good staff these days.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Theo

I would just do it in Speedy Entry, and arrow up to the note if you don't have access to a MIDI keyboard for entry.

Go Back to forum