• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway + soprano

Steinway + soprano

Here's a few latest demo tracks I have been working on (sadly not my compositions)...

Mein herr ,arquier - J. Strauss
    Soprano: Nansy Papakonstantinou

Intermezzo Op.118 No.2 - J. Brahms
    Piano: Nikolas (Garritan Steinway, of course)

And lastly, a bonus track: Creep - Radiohead
    Guitar, voice: Nikolas

No Garritan instruments were harmed in any way, but the soprano picked the GAST straight away amongs my arsenal of different pianos (and I do have a few to choose from).

Re: Steinway + soprano

Nice job on the Brahms piece. I like your interpretation. You and the Steinway sound good.

Larry G. Alexander

The piano in the Strauss piece sounds very different from the one in Brahms. Both are fine pieces of playing though. I could easily imagine a full orchestra on the Strauss waltz, but with Strauss that is never really difficult . Nice vocal recording and mixing too.

Thank you for your comments, both of you!

Larry: I've loved this Brahms piece ever since I heard it 15 years ago... It's a lovely little intermezzo.

FLWrd: Yes, the piano does sound different, but it is the same Steinway. (I would have to check to see which mic I used, in each case, but I did think it was the stage perspective... Would have to check though).

This is what's great with the Steinway: It sounds great in all occasions!

And the soprano was captured with a pair of QTC40 Earthworks and an m201 GraceDesign preamp. The most transparent equipment I could get for that money, I think! On the mixing, it was my first effort pretty much, so I do hope it sounds good!

Hey Nikolas

Love that Soprano's voice. Although you may want to fire that last singer.......

Just kidding of course. It's nice to be able to put a voice with the face after these past few years.

NIce work

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Great job on this!
    Piano is excellent and soprano is also (and I am very picky with singers)
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Nice job on these, Nikolas...

The Brahms -- that just took my heart... gorgeous.

All my best,

David Sosnowski

Yes the soprano is a great singer. The other guy not so much!

I do think that the Steinway tone is what I have been looking for, for a long long time! Very warm and the Brahms intermezzo appeared to have proven that!

Thank you for your comments, everyone!

Great job! Nice well balanced mix. Fantastic job with your equipment! Obviously , you read the manuals! Nice sounding piano, very natural in the high range of notes..could even hear a little bit of woodiness in the piano hammers! Cool!

Hi again - Now that I have listened to the 2nd and third pieces I will comment again. With the Brahms piece, give your playing skills some more credit or at least share it with the Steinway. Well played! and the Steinway sounded real good too. Have you ever noticed when you have a really good guitar player playing a really terrible, cheap guitar, it still sounds not bad but it has never sounded so good, (you know this person knows what they are doing) but when you give them a great instrument.... it takes both for a great recording!

I will hold judgement on the bonus track as I really think your voice needs a different reverb space (or a different place to record it) to really assess things. It sounded like you were about 4 feet away from the mike to my ears or, the acoustics of the recording room is interfering too much or is too prominent.

Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Go Back to forum