• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Windows 7 Upgrade

Share/Bookmark

Windows 7 Upgrade

Has anyone upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista? I am considering it, but want to make sure it's not going to mess up Finale and GPO.

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade

I recommend doing a clean install of Windows 7 instead of doing an upgrade. I've heard horror stories of failed upgrades. It does take more time to do a clean install with installing the apps. After installing the apps you can use the migration tool to move settings from Vista over to Windows 7. Many of the newer apps now store settings under Users in Vista which migrate over nice in Windows 7. Any other items not under Users will need to be moved manually.

Do a good backup before doing either a clean or upgrade install!

You can either create another partition on your system drive for Windows 7 or get a new OS drive. I plan on picking up the new Kingston Intel G2 40GB SSD and making that my Windows 7 x64 OS drive. This drive will be available on 11/9 and NewEgg is supposed to have it for $125 with a rebate that gets the final price down to $85.

Jim

I actually did an upgrade from vista to windows 7. However, I decided to delete all of my program files from vista and simply re-install them on 7. My Finale '08 with GPO works just as well, if not slightly better, as it did before.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Has anyone upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista? I am considering it, but want to make sure it's not going to mess up Finale and GPO.
    Hello Tom,

I think Jim is spot on with his advice.

I can only endorse this. I would definately go for a clean install rather than attempting to upgrade an existing drive. I realise that many people manage to upgrade successfully but, for me, a clean install is the way to go.

I would also prefer the new drive option rather than partitioning an exisiting drive. At the moment, new drives are comparatively inexpensive; a 500GB drive is £35 and a 1TB drive is around £50 (around 58 and 82 US Dollars). I do understand that this is not an option for many people but if it is manageable I do feel it is the best option.

I like the Samsung Spinpoint drives. Just slip in a new drive and keep the exisiting drive safe as a complete backup. This way if anything does go wrong with the new install, or you find you don't like Windows 7, you can just put your previous drive back in and it would be just as if you hadn't been away.

Having said that, Windows 7 installs so effortlessly and quickly and, personally, having tried Windows 7, I could never go back to Vista. I should add that my experiences are with 32 Bit and not the 64 Bit option. Also, it couldn't be easier to transfer your files from your previous drive to your new one. Just slip your previous drive into a caddy using a USB 2 or Firewire interface then transfer your files over to your new drive.

You don't mention which version of Finale and GPO you have. Both Finale 2010 and GPO4 should be fine with windows 7 although I haven't actually got to this stage just yet. Previous versions should also be fine and if there are any hitches then just run them under XP mode in Windows 7. I have an older photo effects program I don't want to part with but is now no longer available and this works perfectly in windows 7 XP mode.

Whichever way you go good luck with your choices.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Support companies, including the major player Rescuecom, are suggesting that users wait for Microsoft to release Windows 7 Service Pack 1 before moving from their current operating system. From Rescuecom president Josh Kaplan:

"From the calls we're getting, as well as our own experience in the past with all Microsoft's operating systems, we're recommending that people stick with their time-tested OS and wait for the dust to settle."

Here's a link to an article with more info:
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ort_firm_warns
    $1.59 Web Hosting! WinningHosting.com offers affordable web hosting for sites of all sizes with plans starting at $1.59/month!
    Compare all our great plans to find the one that's best for you!

I'm not going to repeat what everyone else has said, except that I also suggest a clean install over an upgrade, even better on a new hard drive (I'm partial to WD Caviar Black drives). I'm currently using Finale 2009 and GPO4 on two computers, one running 32-bit, the other running 64-bit. I haven't had problems with either.

I will never go back to Vista.
    Maybe I should have come up with a more original username.

Quote Originally Posted by webbiedave View Post
    Support companies, including the major player Rescuecom, are suggesting that users wait for Microsoft to release Windows 7 Service Pack 1 before moving from their current operating system. From Rescuecom president Josh Kaplan:

"From the calls we're getting, as well as our own experience in the past with all Microsoft's operating systems, we're recommending that people stick with their time-tested OS and wait for the dust to settle."

Here's a link to an article with more info:
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ort_firm_warns
    Hello webbiedave,

Generally speaking I would agree and recommend waiting for the new operating system to be tried and tested before upgrading. I have reformatted and reinstalled since the days of Windows 3 and I can most certainly identify with the mentioned experiences with past Microsoft operating systems and the advice to keep with a tried and trusted OS and to wait for a new comer to mature a bit before upgrading. In the past I have given this advice myself.

However, I do believe that Windows 7 is a bit different. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom have, this time, listened to their customers and have built Windows 7 with an attiude of co-operation and testing with major hardware and software companies. This new culture of Microsoft has produced, in my opinion, a new OS different to any before it in terms of workability, reliability and stability. For me, windows 7 just leaves the unstable, bloated, cumbersome and crashing Vista behind in the dark ages .. with apologies to those who actually like Vista.

My guess is that the 'From the calls we're getting' in your quote probably has more to do with those who have attempted an upgrade from an older OS rather than a clean install. My experience is that a clean install is quick, clean and problem free .. er .. assuming that the necesary checks have been made that hardware is indeed Windows 7 compatible.

Having said that, I haven't actually got to trying it with all my music software and Garritan libraries. I don't see any problems looming with this though. I reserve judgemnet on this.

Wait a minute .. what am I doing? Did I just support and recommend Microsoft? Heck I must be going down with something .. better take some medication and have a lie-down ... arrrrgghhh
    Michael

"with apologies to those who actually like Vista."

No lead to apologise, they've both been rounded up and locked in a padded cell.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    "with apologies to those who actually like Vista."

No lead to apologise, they've both been rounded up and locked in a padded cell.
    OOooooo .. Alan ...

Brave fellow. ROFL
    Michael

I agree with the advice on waiting to upgrade to Windows 7, especially the advice on waiting for Service Pack 1. You should also try to assess whether or not your PC's performance will actually improve with 7. I'm running Vista Home Premium with the latest updates. From all that I've read, Windows 7 won't improve my PC's performance at all. I might consider an upgrade now if they offer a $50 upgrade copy. If Windows 7 really is "everything Windows Vista should've been," then I'm not going to rush right out and buy it. Take your time making the decision.
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." -Steven Wright, comedian

Go Back to forum