• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can someone help me read this?

Share/Bookmark

Can someone help me read this?

Sorry to cross post, but I think this is a better place to post this:

I have a horn chart I am trying to get sequenced and I am confused on some of the notations.

Chart:
    http://warsaw.innova-partners.com/~c...20-%20tpts.jpg

Can anyone tell me what he means tpt 2 -8ba to 1. Do I understand that the second tpt to be down an octave from what is written until 1? Or is 1st tpt up an octave until 1? Also, is the top or bottom line in measures 6 and 7 the 2nd horn part? Or is that simply a dash and the 2nd tpt is up an octave?

Thanks to anyone who can decipher horn speak.

Re: Can someone help me read this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbagump View Post
    Sorry to cross post, but I think this is a better place to post this:

I have a horn chart I am trying to get sequenced and I am confused on some of the notations.

Chart:
    http://warsaw.innova-partners.com/~c...20-%20tpts.jpg

Can anyone tell me what he means tpt 2 -8ba to 1. Do I understand that the second tpt to be down an octave from what is written until 1? Or is 1st tpt up an octave until 1? Also, is the top or bottom line in measures 6 and 7 the 2nd horn part? Or is that simply a dash and the 2nd tpt is up an octave?

Thanks to anyone who can decipher horn speak.
    Hi...The "speak" here isn't 100% clear
    Do you have a recording to which you could refer?

At the start, the 2nd trumpet should be an octave below what's written. If the written part were an octave higher, it would be a real screamer a la Maynard Ferguson, up to double-high C. Nope .
    In this type of music, a main line is often written out with instructions for what's to go on below it.

Where two parts appear before circle 1, it supersedes the "second trumpet an octave lower" instruction, and the 2nd trumpet plays the lower part.

Now...at Circle 1, it isn't marked. but there should be a "soli" instruction as there is at circle 3--a section unison, again superseded where the parts split into two. Same at circle 2. Some marking should have ideally appeared at circle 1 to replace the expired "8ba." It's out of place at circle 3.

Circle 3 is a section unison--"soli"--both trumpets on the exact same line.

SO: Beginning is in octaves except where two parts are written.
    The rest--from circle 1 to the end is unison except where the parts split.

Gee...talking about it took 10 times as long as it did to play it.

But it's NOT you--it isn't clear!!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum