• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Matt Ragan Maximun Strength Acoustic Guitars

Share/Bookmark

Matt Ragan Maximun Strength Acoustic Guitars

I just got the Matt Ragan Max Strength guitar library. While monitoring, I\'m having a problem with noise playing in the samples. It sounds like a lot of crackling and static noise. I don\'t have this problem with any of my other libraries. However, if I render the performance to a WAV file, the resulting file sounds perfectly clean. What\'s up with that?

FYI, I\'m using GStudio 160 with a Pentium III 1GB CPU, 512MB RAM, Asus CUSLC2 mobo, two fast IDE hard drives, one fast SCSI hard drive and an Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96. If you need any more info to help me solve this problem, please let me know.

Thanks!
    MZ

Re: Matt Ragan Maximun Strength Acoustic Guitars

I purchased Max Strength Guitar about two months ago. Just used it in a production. Very effective -- fooled everyone. Made good use of the MIDI examples. No noise. It must be a problem unique to your system.

There is a lot of high frequency energy in the samples. I wonder if some of the samples are overdriving the D/A converters.

clueless

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MickeyZ:
    While monitoring, I\'m having a problem with noise playing in the samples. It sounds like a lot of crackling and static noise. However, if I render the performance to a WAV file, the resulting file sounds perfectly clean. What\'s up with that?

MZ
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Mickey,

I consulted about this noise you\'re hearing with the guy who I believe to be the ultimate Giga Guru, and here\'s his response:

\"since he captures real time to a wave file clean while monitoring with noise, the breakdown is between GStudio and the sound card - and is not a problem with the library. Perhaps the guitar library is putting a little more stress on his system than other libraries, which is pushing it over the edge - though his system is plenty powerful.

He should concentrate on his hardware system configuration, with special attention to the sound card driver. This is also the type of problem we might see if he is not using the \'DMA\' checkbox in his hard drive
    configuration, has Norton AntiVirus (or other) installed, or has some issue with his GSIF sound card driver.\"

-----------------------------------------
    Hope this might help - if not, please email me privately, so I can get you in contact with someone who should be able to assist further.

-Matt
    mragan@ea.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MickeyZ:
    I just got the Matt Ragan Max Strength guitar library. While monitoring, I\'m having a problem with noise playing in the samples. It sounds like a lot of crackling and static noise.

Thanks!
    MZ
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to confirm what Matt has said, this is definitely some breakdown of your audio card\'s configuration. Because you\'re able to capture succesfully, you rule out the other causes. It should be relatively easy to chase down.

Just a word of praise for Matt\'s guitar library--it is quite well done, and contains many very playable articulations. It has a VERY recognizable, signature Martin sound. In particular, there\'s are excellent articulation files for \"live\" play which put loads of expressive possibility at your fingertips. This includes a mute/pull sort of sound which is most excellent for \"chicken pickin.\" Also, it has release triggers like the Bardstown Audio Archtop, and these are SO SO critical to playing good lines where the notes really have life \"in the cracks.\"

Release trigger rant to follow:

Really, if you ask me, release triggers are essential for realism in guitars and basses. The \"release\" portion of any fretted (or even fretless) plucked string instrument contains SO much of the aural cues that say \"real,\" that the simple act of adding them immediately ratchets up the quality of the overall sound.

The almost never discussed Larry Seyer Acoustic Bass has stunning release triggers, which directly contribute to the jazzy/funky rhythmic content of a track. Coming off a note is, in effect, a note unto itself which propels the track forward rhythmically. This bass got bad press early on (not from me) because it is extremely mid-rangy. However, it takes all of ten seconds to EQ it into the context of a given mix, and you cannot argue with the expressive range. It\'s still the acoustic bass library to beat by miles, and this is predominantly due to the simple fact that the release triggers supply so much of the same rhythmic drive which the actual instrument injects into a mix.

Real bass and guitar tracks are absolutely loaded with funky stuff between the notes. Take it out, and lots of the life comes out with it.

I have a dearly departed friend, an amazing guitar player/songwriter named T-Buck, who\'d grunt and make all manner of racket while playing. Chuck Rainey was in the control room while T-Buck was recording a track, and the engineer was moaning about \"How am I going to get all this grunting out?\"

Chuck said, \"Get it out? Are you nuts? Crank it up!!\"

Cornell Dupree is another guitar player that makes an unholy racket while he plays. I have never heard anyone get the sounds out of a straight Telecaster that Cornell can get. I had a session with him where he showed up with literally a guitar in one hand and a bottle of scotch in the other, and just said, \"Where do I plug in?\"

All I had was a small Trace Elliot bass amp, with no guitar-friendly features whatsoever. He plugged into that, and by whatever means he introduces physical vibration into the guitar (some of it through his mouth close to the strings), he made notes growl, he made notes \"chorus,\" he did simply amazing things to the sound.

It\'s a well known fact that producers put microphones on Michael Jackson from head to foot when he sings, because he does amazing rhythmic stuff with his feet and hands and these add enormously to the feel of the groove.

Sometimes we go so far in our quest for clean sound we overlook the obvious. Release triggers are the sh*t!! I\'d say they\'ll add 50 to 100% more groove to ANY track--no matter what the genre. I would go for all sorts of things in them, grunts, breathing, squeaks...whatever. Anything that puts humanity into a sample is the right thing to do. You can always take it out, but it\'s very difficult to add.

Well, I think I\'ve got it solved. I went to the Tascam web site and read the excellent tutorial on PC Recording systems by Dave Casey. I followed his optimization recommendations almost to the letter and....VOILA....no more crackling. I highly recommend this document to any novice PC audiophile who\'s trying to configure the best possible system for audio.

That said, on to the software. Matt, this is an INCREDIBLE library! I can\'t believe how good this guitar sounds. I only hope that my compositions can do it justice. I\'m really looking forward to working with it. Thank you!

MZ

Hey thank you guys for the kind words - as a soundware developer I feel there\'s nothing more rewarding than hearing of people making good use of the library.

And thanks MickeyZ for the tip about the tutorial on PC Recording systems by Dave Casey - I have the feeling that I\'ll be referring to it myself next time I configure a Giga station.

-Matt

Matt, I have to agree. I love your library enormously.

BTW, you live in Seattle, right? It seems like there are a lot of talented soundware developers here... Dan Dean is a Seattleite, and Gary Garritan I believe lives up in the San Juans somewhere...

Jake Winkler

Hi Matt:

I have enjoyed used, modified your MIDI files for Max Strength. You did an excellent job on them and, of course, they match the characteristics of the library. I wonder if you are going to have downloadable upgrades or additional files to purchase. I\'m very interested.

clueless

Hey Jake,

Thanks.

We are getting Giggy with it here in Seattle, aren\'t we?

Now an off topic Seattle spiel:

I moved to the area from San Diego a bit over 4 years ago, and man, I love it here! Not that San Diego isn\'t really great also, but the Seattle area has this combination of friendliness, natural beauty, and COOLNESS that\'s hard to beat.

OK, if you twisted my arm I might also consider Hawaii .

BTW, if you or any other Seattlites aren\'t aware of the SCA (Seattle Composers Alliance) yet, you might wanna check it out:
    http://www.seattlecomposers.org/

You\'ll find plenty of Gigastudio users among the membership

[This message has been edited by Matt Ragan (edited 09-14-2001).]

Very glad to hear that you\'ve been using and modifying those MIDI files.

Anyone else out there finding the Max Acous MIDI files to be useful?

I\'d love to create and supply some additional MIDI files derived from real guitar performances for Max Acous, but probably won\'t be able to in the very near future, as I\'m pretty swamped at the moment.

If I do find the time to get some new ones happening, you\'ll read about them here first .

-Matt

Go Back to forum