• Register
  • Help

Topic: Symphony in c-minor I. Andante/Allegro appassionato

Share/Bookmark

Symphony in c-minor I. Andante/Allegro appassionato

I'd like to present the first movement of my symphony in c-minor in Classical style with a kind of Biblical meaning.

It starts with a bright choral theme in an Andante introduction in C-Major which depicts the beauty and honour of life in creation which however is destroyed by the motif of temptation and sin, so the choral theme turns to a sad lamantation tune which then leads to the desperate Allegro appassionato. The theme of this Allegro is inspired by Beethoven's various sketches for a main theme for his planned 10th symphony.

The Allegro covers various aspects of Life - conflicts and desperation on the one hand and joy and hope on the other.
    Towards the end the work comes back to a majestic return of the initial choral theme before the movements ends in a furious Presto.
    It is the work on the largest scale I have done so far:

0:00 Andante
    2:55 Allegro appassionato - Exposition
    6:12 Development
    8:40 Recapitulation
    11:39 - 14:21 Coda

http://gerdprengel.de/symphony-1.mp3
    http://gerdprengel.de/symphony-1.pdf

Gerd

Re: Symphony in c-minor I. Andante/Allegro appassionato

This movement is very massive in scope. I enjoyed the programattic aspects of the introduction. May I ask a question? Why sonata form?

I would love to discuss some of my thoughts on this piece with you sometime,

Matt

Re: Symphony in c-minor I. Andante/Allegro appassionato

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew S Phillips View Post
    Why sonata form?
    Matt
    Why sonata form? I cannot imagine a symphony without a sonata form with the development and coda section always being the highlights of such a movement with all its possiblities to develop musical ideas. I definitely wanted to write a symphony in classical style.

Please tell me what you think musically of the work ...

Go Back to forum