Hi, I just purchased GPO 4 and am trying to use it with Logic 9 on a Mac OS 10.6.1 Snow leopard. The installation went fine no problems, and I made sure to make it install the AU component. The AU component is also in the Library/audio/plugins/components folder. However, when I open Logic and go to the Inspector pane of my software instrument to insert one of the Garritan's instruments, it does not show up under audio units. The only ones there are the plug ins that came with logic. Can anybody help me find out what's wrong? I'd really appreciate it. It seems I've done everything right, but it just won't show up in Logic. Thanks in advance!
I don't use Logic, or Snow Leopard, but I do use a Mac and Digital Performer.
When we DP users install a new AU plugin, Digital Performer
will examine the new audio unit plugin to make sure that it is safe
before DP opens. Does Logic do this? If it does, and Logic did not
see a newly installed plugin, then possibly you should trash your audio unit info cache.
This will force Logic to re-examine the audio unit plugins.
Whenever a DP user wants DP to RE - examine all the audio unit plugins, we place the "audio unit info cache" into the trash can and empty the trash, then re-open Logic.
user/library/preferences/Logic/Audio Unit Info Cache
Maybe try that.
Thanks for the help Dan. I actually figured out a different way to use them than how the Logic manual says, and it works just as good. The instrument sounds are amazing and I definitely am glad I went with GPO. I was debating between GPO and East West but they have so many problems with their interface and are so CPU intensive, that I figured GPO was the way to go. I guess I was right. Thanks again!
Strange. I had no problems installing it at all. After installing, Logic (Express, 9) started the "audio unit" scan as usual, found Aria Player, tested it (with auval, the Audio Unit VALidation program), and I could use it immediately. The next time it starts, it will look in the cache and see the new plug-in has already been validated, and continue. At least, that's how it's supposed to work.
I had a similar issue to the original poster. Mine was resolved by rebooting the computer. I assumed that it would just install and work, but it didn't. I guess the system scans something on a reboot and "discovered" it.
I'm a programmer, and if Logic's AU handling is implemented properly, a reboot shouldn't have been necessary, since it relies on file dates and a cache file to know which AUs have been changed or added. Perhaps Logic relies on the same mechanism as SpotLight, in which case it might not see the differences if the AU plug-in directory is excluded from indexing.