Topic: from The Messiah

Share/Bookmark

from The Messiah

I. Overture
    II> Chorus, AND THE GLORY OF THE LORD

I..i-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=8226824&q=hi

II. hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=8298476&q=hi

Gary
    Last edited by garymosse; 11-02-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: additional edits & additions

Re: from The Messiah

Excellent arrangement of the chorus. I didn't miss the original for one quaver. But I'm afraid the overture didn't work that well for me. To my ears, a woodwind group (especially the flutes) has a certain lightness that just is not characteristic of the Messiah's opening. I hope that doesn't offend you, because that is certainly not my intention. I'm actually looking forward to hearing "Onto us a child is born," which to me is the happy highlight of HWV56.
    Theo

Thanks for listening, Theo.
    Instrumentation is often challenged by location, size of performance venue, and-oh yea-finance. One small ensemble might make an otherwise performance unattainable. An overture should be a grand introduction to a Baroque piece.

Gary

Good on ya, Gary, for tackling this. The rendering sounds nice!

Rearranging this kind of stuff (esp. baroque continuo) for winds is challenging and fun. A few years back I did Rejoice Greatly for small wind ensemble and vocal and there were lots of interesting puzzles to solve (results here - live, not GPO). Dove-tailing violin parts into woodwinds, balancing winds with vocal, etc. were all fascinating to work out.

BTW, sounds like a wrong note around the 2:34 point (flutes) in the Overture. Or maybe not... sometimes new sonorities can trick the ear.

David

Thanks for listening, David.
    I checked my score (chorus & piano) & notes are there in the flute.
    The phrase has a chromatic alteration starting the measure before & the flutes D# is part of 4 separate chords. I think the flute sound clashes on 1 or 2 chords.

Gary

Go Back to forum