• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is Sonivox MINI String Ensemble worthwhile?

Share/Bookmark

Question Is Sonivox MINI String Ensemble worthwhile?

I know the Sonic Implants String Ensembles software is considered 'old' by now, but that it's still well-regarded. I got the SI Con Sordino Strings with GS3 quite a while ago, and I think it's pretty incredible.

What I'd like to know is if the MINI version is a good choice for someone on a budget, or if it's better to save up for the full version or something else?

Thanks,
    Michael
    Dell Core2Duo E7200, 3GB Ram, SATA 160GB, SATA 250GB, Yamaha KX88 controller, Cubase Essential 4, Gigastudio 3.

Re: Is Sonivox MINI String Ensemble worthwhile?

I think String Essentials would be worth considering over the mini.
    You can also purchase the Vienna SE Strings separately on soundsondemand.com.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check those libraries. BUT which library is Vienna SE strings?
    They have so many libraries it's confusing to a bonehead like me
    Dell Core2Duo E7200, 3GB Ram, SATA 160GB, SATA 250GB, Yamaha KX88 controller, Cubase Essential 4, Gigastudio 3.

check soundsondemand.com

Personally, I much prefer the Sonivox sound to Vienna's.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Sometimes if we're lucky and do our homework, we find something we're entirely satisfied with. If the rest of the Sonivox String Ensemble library is as excellent as the Con Sordino strings, and I expect it is, I'd be a very happy camper with that, but I can't afford it right now.
    So I'm wondering if the MINI version has the same sonic character. Does anyone know?

If you listen to the demos of the orchestral instrument collection strings made for Ableton Live (on their web site): you may get a glimpse of what mini may sound like.

I listened to that Ableton demo, thanks. It's not bad, but nowhere near the sound of the full Sonivox String Ensembles.

That's the thing though, it's impossible to know how good (or bad) the MINI is without hearing at least some demos, and preferably some evaluations from users.

Actually, an evaluation demo version would be ideal- I really feel we should be able to try before we buy- especially since none of these libraries can be returned to the store, and few developers allow them to be resold.

What do you mean with the "Mini"?

This one? http://sonivoxmi.com/ProductDetail.a...honicStringsV2

Or did they a new one?
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    What do you mean with the "Mini"?

This one? http://sonivoxmi.com/ProductDetail.a...honicStringsV2

Or did they a new one?

Hi, no that's not the one, although I did download their demo to try it. Not great. The MINI is the Sonivox String Ensembles MINI Version. It's about $400, as opposed to the full version, which is about $900. It is a bit hard to find on their website, I usually get to it from Google.

So, if the MINI sounds as good, but with fewer articulations etc, I could see investing in it, it would be a no-brainer then.

Go Back to forum