• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Symphobia and LASS Users?

Share/Bookmark

Symphobia and LASS Users?

So now that Symphobia and LA Scoring Strings have been out there a while, I'd love to know what users think. Any surprises (good or bad)? Anyone not pleased that they made the purchase? You all that have been using these libraries for a while will have a lot better handle on how good they actually are...

Thanks!

John

www.jdkmusic.com

Re: Symphobia and LASS Users?

I have both. Symphobia is immediately gratifying while LASS is a little more work but both are very satisfying, excellent libs

+1 on what davecos said. Neither is a replacement for the other, but they're lovely complements to each other. Symphobia is for bigness & quick stuff, and LASS has more levels/layers/possibilities. Both are totally worth the purchase price.

Kerry

Thanks Kerry and Dave. What I'm hearing about Symphobia is that is great for working quickly, which really does appeal to those of us with so many tight deadlines. The big draw for LASS seems to be the A.R.T. feature.

Does that seem about right?

John

www.jdkmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDK Music View Post
    Thanks Kerry and Dave. What I'm hearing about Symphobia is that is great for working quickly, which really does appeal to those of us with so many tight deadlines. The big draw for LASS seems to be the A.R.T. feature.

Does that seem about right?

John

www.jdkmusic.com
    yes indeed

I only own Symphobia and I have to say that it's great for tight schedules and laying down sketches fast if you have a idea in your head.
    Pasi Pitkänen
    Website | Facebook

LASS is worth the price JUST for the staccatos/spiccatos and that A.R.T. script. Seriously. Everything else is just gravy. The first time you use A.R.T. your jaw will drop, and you'll realize that the wonderful, realistic string sounds you've been waiting for all of your life have just happened. And the nice thing is that "implementing A.R.T" simply means holding down the sustain pedal to trigger it, and picking whether you want 8ths, 8th-note triplets, or 16th note repetitions.

Symphobia is great for doing things quickly, but it's also great for adding a sense of space to your mixes. And their sordino strings really do a great job at fooling your ears. The effects & hits section of it comes in super-handy as well.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by composernyc View Post
    And the nice thing is that "implementing A.R.T" simply means holding down the sustain pedal to trigger it, and picking whether you want 8ths, 8th-note triplets, or 16th note repetitions.
    Yes, in its most elegant (and easy) simplicity the ART feature is a great tool. I've also found that through more meticulous MIDI editing, you can manipulate ART to do a whole range of neat, and fairly intricate tricks as well.

pax

But LASS also comes with incredible solo strings, especially viola blows your mind, there is a demo on the page. You might think that it takes a while to program that, but no - it doesn't. It really sounds that good and is that playable...

And another plus is that you can select the size of your sections (1, 3, 6 or 10(...?) Varies between sections, of course).

Even though LASS is much more choices, it doesn't mean it's more difficult. It's really playable and all the sections are said to respond the same so you can program your performance for a solo violin and just load up a different patch and it will be played by a full section with all the glissandos, staccatos and portamentos.
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

I'll add that the organization of LASS is fantastic. It's thoroughly consistent.

The sound is great. It's the first time I can say "that sounds like real strings to me".

Symphobia is great for a larger feeling, and like everyone says, working quickly. Symphobia is so uniquely different that I would hesitate to buy one over the other -- that's why I bought both, I guess...

Mahlon

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast