• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Purrfect Drums, Sonic Implants

Share/Bookmark

Purrfect Drums, Sonic Implants

Have Purrfect drums also completely usable kits, or there is only something like this - disc 1 - snares separate sounds, disc 2 - bass drums, disc x - hi hats, etc.? I hate when one must build kits for hours, sound after sound. Are there also on some disc(s) any completed kits (best in GM positions)?
    And what about Sonic Implants Drums? Are there kits, and is the quality worse than Purrfect Drums?

Re: Purrfect Drums, Sonic Implants

Sonic Implants drums are great, c\'mon, at around $20.00 a kit you can\'t \"beat it\". I just purchased Topaz Studio Kits Volume 1. Jury is still out on that one....

I\'ve just install purrrfect drums so I\'m not an expert on its layout (that will take some time) but it does have kits and they do sound good.

The whole enchilada is too big for a kit, so it\'s laid out in performances across 4 midi ports. It looks there are a bunch of performances that give you different ways of accessing it.

Then there are 7 kits that organize the samples into 1 gigabyte complete kits that are self contained and can be played across a single keyboard, they are chosen to work well for specific styles. There is also a monster GM compatible kit.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stmikkel:
    I still don\'t understand, why there hasn\'t been made a single descent snare drum sample, which sounds realistic + many velocity layers. It\'s one of the most basic sounds in a mix, and still it\'s impossible to get a great snare drum sound for my composing.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me ask you, have you ever mic\'ed a drum yourself, and processed the track? That is exactly what you should do with Purrrfect Drums. Don\'t consider the snare sound to be processed for your individual tune, look at it as the same thing you\'d have if you mic\'ed the drumset yourself and recorded it.

Use EQ and compression, and you can make those Purrrfect Drums snares sound like anything you want.

This is a big contrast to most sampled libraries, which attempt to pre-process a drum sound. Unfortunately, that doesn\'t work any better than pre-processing electric guitars. You\'re better off playing a non-effected signal into an amp simulator, and likewise, you\'re better off playing a multi-layered snare into typical post-processing arrays.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Let me ask you, have you ever mic\'ed a drum yourself, and processed the track? That is exactly what you should do with Purrrfect Drums. Don\'t consider the snare sound to be processed for your individual tune, look at it as the same thing you\'d have if you mic\'ed the drumset yourself and recorded it.

Use EQ and compression, and you can make those Purrrfect Drums snares sound like anything you want.

This is a big contrast to most sampled libraries, which attempt to pre-process a drum sound. Unfortunately, that doesn\'t work any better than pre-processing electric guitars. You\'re better off playing a non-effected signal into an amp simulator, and likewise, you\'re better off playing a multi-layered snare into typical post-processing arrays.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AMEN!

Heres my two cents on this matter. I\'ve heard the Sonic Implants stuff and I\'m not real crazy about it. Yes it\'s cheap....but....

Yes we are continuing to work on our own set library. The tricky thing with drum set libraries is that there are to many \"experts\" out there that think they know what a drum set should sound like. We will do our best though.

As far as the Purfect drums this seems like a really good option right now. I mean come on...8 discs for $249? Thats a heck of a deal. The selection is fantastic and more thorough than any other set library availible. Seems like the way to go.

Donnie

You have to edit your own drum kits with Purrrfect Drums. You have some standard kits, but you will most likely end up making your own. It doesn\'t take long to do it. My set is more than 1.7 gb big.
    That\'s pretty wild. I get a feeling that the samples, especially the cymbals, could have been shorted down a bit. I really like the soundquality of these samples though. You can really hear that only top quality gear has been used! This set is definately the best out there so far, although I wouldn\'t call it perfect...

Btw, when will Donnie release his drum libary? I really hope he especially gets the snares and toms right, because I haven\'t found anything yet that sounds top-notch, IMO anyway.

Ok, rant mode ON:
    I still don\'t understand, why there hasn\'t been made a single descent snare drum sample, which sounds realistic + many velocity layers. It\'s one of the most basic sounds in a mix, and still it\'s impossible to get a great snare drum sound for my composing.

Bruce:

I don\'t doubt the fact, that you know much more about producing music than I do.
    But I still think you\'re missing the point.
    Bob Clearmountain snare drums (and several other older drum cds) don\'t have enough layers, and no good ghost-velocities.
    Purrrrfect Drums (which are a very good package indeed!) are nowhere near a preferable snare drum sound in my book.
    They are tuned far to low, and end up lacking punch. Especially for a very dynamic style (think progrock, fusion, funkrock etc..), these snare drums doesn\'t do it for me, by a long shot.
    I ended up using one of the 6-7 snare drums, and tuned it up a bit. Then I got something I thought I could at least use temporarily.

So, NO, I\'m still not happy with the snare drum samples out there.
    I\'m sure you can do a lot with effects, processing etc., but I\'m talking about the sound of the sampled snare drum + realism.

I\'m starting to repeat myself (although it\'s obviously necessary), but I\'m crossing my fingers for Donnie getting it right. He\'s pretty much the only hope for us getting a decent snare (and also some really good toms with lots of punch, dynamics and velocity layers).

PS: I don\'t like to critize sample cds like this in public forums. I think I\'ve made it very clear though, that Purrfect Drums IS the best drum sample package out there right now, but there are still things that could have been done better. I just want to point out those things. I\'m very grateful for that sample cd developers read this forum on a regular basis, I only hope this wish is getting through...
    (Donnie...?)

Can anyone recommend a demo for purrfect drums .
    I found a blues demo called big/little head but they dont display variations in the drums enough.
    Not a very good demo.

Agreed, on the demo.

Its a great song,..but it really doesn\'t show what might be capable with the library. I actually hate the sound of the snare and it really doesn\'t show off the dynamics that everyone has been raving about. As well the drums sound obviously sampled IMHO.

How many different vareties of sounds/kits are there?

I know there are gigs of samples... but actual different sanres and STYLES of kits?

Real Giga drums bothers me in the fact that the kits aren\'t that much different. Which is why I\'m still searching for otehr libraries

Pure Drums is sut too controlled sounding but there are ALOT of variations of kit sounds. I\'d be ok with this set if I had more control over the sounds. I may create some effected samples to layer on top and use in effect like RGD,...but It\'ll take alot of filtering on the kick to get a good room/over sound out of it.. I like to hear some \"air\" sometimes...

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum