• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Trilian in Logic 9

Share/Bookmark

Trilian in Logic 9

So I'm using the latest version of Trilian on an Intel Mac Pro with 13GB RAM as is an associate in Seattle. We are both having huge problems with it. Constant Low Memory messages, crashes, static soundbursts, inconsistent behaviour in Live Mode.
    In our experience this product is FAR from ready for prime-time in a pro situation.
    Approach with caution....

Re: Trilian in Logic 9

fyi, the low memory warnings you are receiving are not referring to RAM. I'm sure Apple supplies some documentation to explain that message so you should consult that, but the short version is: regardless of how much RAM you have, a 32 bit application like Logic is limited to about 3.5 GB of virtual memory. Logic 9 has a new warning system which cautions you when you approach that limit. The consequences of venturing too close to that limit include, as you have discovered, crashes.

The remedy is to use less memory. Your sample-based plugins should have features to help you economize on your memory usage. For example, Trilian includes a "Lite" button in the browser which you can use to reduce the amount of memory consumed when loading soundsources. It also includes a memory gauge on browser page to help you monitor your memory situation.

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    fyi, the low memory warnings you are receiving are not referring to RAM. I'm sure Apple supplies some documentation to explain that message so you should consult that, but the short version is: regardless of how much RAM you have, a 32 bit application like Logic is limited to about 3.5 GB of virtual memory. Logic 9 has a new warning system which cautions you when you approach that limit. The consequences of venturing too close to that limit include, as you have discovered, crashes.

The remedy is to use less memory. Your sample-based plugins should have features to help you economize on your memory usage. For example, Trilian includes a "Lite" button in the browser which you can use to reduce the amount of memory consumed when loading soundsources. It also includes a memory gauge on browser page to help you monitor your memory situation.

- Glenn
    Thanks Glenn. I am aware of the issue with 32 bit Logic.
    I know exactly how much memory, real and virtual, I am using via the Activity Monitor in Utilities.
    The problem is that Trilian is somehow accessing way more memory than it is really supposed to use and triggering crashes unlike any other application I use and I use pretty much all of 'em!
    I and my associates use other sample based products that use significantly more RAM than Trilian and they play nice in Logic.
    BTW another broken feature is "Bounce In Place". Simply doesn't work in Logic 9 with Trilian. Cut off notes...out of time...
    Trilian is simply close to unusable as it stands until they address the RAM issue.
    Shame, because the sounds are very good.

Working fine here in Logic.

Can you post your system specs and what other sounds/instruments you are using in the session, which sounds you are using from Trilian, etc?

Are you up to date with the latest versions?

Did you use the Lite Version/Memory Management features yet?

works like a charme here too.
    logic9, 10.58 on a 8 core macpro.

Mine is working fine...get the latest drivers on everything.

croaky

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    Working fine here in Logic.

Can you post your system specs and what other sounds/instruments you are using in the session, which sounds you are using from Trilian, etc?

Are you up to date with the latest versions?

Did you use the Lite Version/Memory Management features yet?
    Hi
    Will be very happy to be proved wrong ;-)

I am on a 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xenon Mac Pro with 13GB Ram.
    I haven't updated to Snow Leopard as yet until I am certain all my 3rd party plug-ins are compatible, so it's OS 10.5.8 for me atm.
    My mix buddy in Seattle is on a Quad Pro running the same OS with 16GB RAM.
    We have parallel systems in terms of software with the exception that I have a UAD2 and UAD1 card. But I don't generally apply those FX when sending to him (if I do...I print).
    My hardware is Metric Halo Mobile I/O 2882.
    MIDI interface is Unitor 8.
    Generally an open session will have an open instance of BFD2, possibly also Addictive Drums. Heavy use of Waves Platinum. Stylus RMX is always instantiated as a multi output.

Just did a test...
    Blank session has BFD2, Stylus RMX, and a few Waves Ren plug-ins pre-assigned to drum busses/tracks etc.
    Stylus has no sounds loaded.
    Loaded Trilian. Opened the Multi "Clean Fender Keyswitch". On completion of load, I get the message in Logic...
    "There is not enough free memory to continue working with this project. Logic will quit now, a copy of your project will be saved"
    That is not to say that I haven't successfully opened and used Trilian, but issues are varied in timing, but consistent in result...crash.
    As I stated earlier...Bounce In Place doesn't seem to work for either of us. Most notes are truncated.

Cheers
    Clive Young

I have seen reports of opinions that the error message in Logic you are referring to might be incorrect. However, all the facts I've seen support the opposite viewpoint: that it is correct and you truly are out of memory. If you have evidence that the error message is wrong, and you do have sufficient memory when Logic is telling you that you have none, you should report the details to Apple.

However, if it is correct, see my message above about the remedy. Until Logic is 64 bit, there is no alternative except to economize on your memory usage, either by reducing your memory usage or by farming your plugins out to another process by using something like Vienna Ensemble Pro. Trilian and Omnisphere have a number of memory management features to help you with reducing memory usage.

- Glenn

P.S. Regarding advice about bouncing any streaming virtual instruments, see the "streaming and bouncing" FAQ at support.spectrasonics.net

Smile Re: Trilian in Logic 9

I have the same problems with Trilian.

I am told I'm running out of memory when the sums do not add up.

I need to do some more testing, so will get back with results.

Trilian is quite unstable as well, and sometimes has graphic redraw errors, and also fails to list all the presets sometimes.

(I tried to go to the uploads to post the error message screenshot but I'm told I'm not alllowed??)

Only just joined this forum so no signature yet - so briefly my system is:

Mac Pro 8-core 2.8 GHz 6GB Ram 10.5.8
    RME Fireface 400
    Logic 7/8/9 latest updates

I'm trying to upload the screengrab, but I don't appear to have the "manage attachments" button below this message box like it should be according to the FAQ?

Anyone help me out here?

Thanks.
    Mac Pro 2.8 GHz 8-core
    14GB Ram
    RME Fireface 400
    Logic 9.1.1 mainly 64-bit
    Kore 2+Komplete 5/BFD2/Softube/Nomad Factory/T-Racks/Spec's/Amplitubes etc

Go Back to forum