• Register
  • Help

Topic: Multi-core use for RMX,Trillion and older programs

Share/Bookmark

Multi-core use for RMX,Trillion and older programs

Hello everyone. Been quite a few months of Sundays since I've been here. Hoping I'm in the right place. I've outgrown my single core 'puter. Building an i920 very soon. I have several programs I'd like to use and want to know if I'll be able to use them on multi cores without everything stacking onto one. The first is RMX, then Battery 3, B4ll, GVI, Chris Hein horns, RealStrat, and last of all Trillion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hello Ted.
    -Rajay
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

Re: Multi-core use for RMX,Trillion and older programs

Man! First time I've ever had a question that went totally unanswered! Is there not one kind soul that can help? Did I mention I'll be using Sonar 8? Maybe I've been away too long huh?
    -Rajay
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

Rayjay, the Spectrasonics instrument you mentioned is called "Trilian".

Have a look at:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=69305

Note Hans' comments especially:
    "on a muticore system a plugin usually can only run on a single core.
    There is no way to spillover so to speak.
    That means that you could hit the ceiling with 8 parts in one instance but the same song would run fine if you had 2 instances with 4 parts each.
    Because the Mac will distribute the two instances to two cores instead of one.
    In my template i use 4 instances of Omnisphere.
    Pad, Lead, Arp, FX
    Depending on the song i might use several parts in the pad instance and Lead instance to create a superfat stacked pad sound or lead and i will use several arp parts in the Arp instance but each with its own midichannel.
    Same for FX.
    I am on an 8core and this setup allows me to use 4 cores for Omnisphere and the rest for VSL, Trilian, RMX and NI.
    Works like a charm"

Some of the comments in the thread apply to Macs, but there's still info there that may be of interest to you...........playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

playz123 I thank you for your answer........and for correcting my spelling. I've watched the videos. Can't wait to get the i920 built and get back to work. The valuable info you gave me is a very good starting point for me. I can do further research from that. I just couldn't grasp the technical answers to my questions. No need in my mind to build a state of the art quad and everything still maxes out on a single core. Might as well build a couple more singles I thought. Thanks for pulling my coat dear fellow. Much peace and many blessings.
    -Rajay

I think there is no difference between macs and pcs when it comes to handling multicores. For most plugins the rule applies that they can only use a single core and the host manages the distribution of the plugins to the cores.
    Logic9 does a pretty good job at this. Dont know how Cubase or Sonar handle this but i am sure they aint bad either.

There are lots of reasons to go to the 920, I run all of the stuff below in Cubase 5, 12 gig RAM and never any issues. Its like opening the door in your studio and letting in the sunshine in. I have been doing this 15 years or more and this is the first time a computer actually runs the software properly!

Consider going 64 bit
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

First you Hans. Thanks for that 'cause that was my next question. The host decides the core distribution. I'll check the Sonar site to see if it can answer that question for me.

Zero Zero.........Glad to know you approve of the 920. Of all the questions I've asked and the advice I've received, it seems like the best fit for me. I see you use one so I'm sure I can trust your advice there. What kind of mobo do you use?
    -Rajay

i read somewhere that there are a few plug ins that are actually able to use more than one core but there seems to be a high possibility for conflicts between these plugins and hosts that also try to manage the distribution to the cores simultaneously.

Hans I'm kinda skiddish about new stuff like that. If it were that great a lot of people here would be doing it huh? Seems to me you're just asking for trouble if both the host and the program are trying to assign. Especially if you have several programs, both new and old. I guess what I really need to know is just how Sonar does it and if anyone is finding a lot of bugs in the process. I'm trying to use the K.I.S.S. philosophy as much as possible. That way I can be making music using my older programs while incrimently adding others as my budget will allow. I was looking at Kore in particular. It seems interesting but is anyone impressed by it's sounds and compatibility with Sonar and other programs?
    -Rajay

dont get me wrong. I doubt that this would be a good way. I prefer that the task of distribution to the cores is handled by the host only. I just wanted to point out that there seem to be plugins that try that other approach.

Go Back to forum