• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Free Phillip Glass

Free Phillip Glass

No, Phil's not being held by either the ChiComs or secret CIA prisons in Europe, Amazon is giving away a 21-track Phillip Glass sampler.

Being unfamiliar with his work, but having heard of his being influential, I jumped at the chance. While I'm still not completely sure what I think of his music (very repetitive - borderline absurdist), but it is the best $0.00 I've spent in a while.

Anyway, if you are not familiar with Glass, either, this is the perfect price point to form an opinion.

Re: Free Phillip Glass

thanks, just downloaded it. I'm exactly same as you, I heard of him but had never really had an opportunity to listen to his work.

Thanks for the link!!

When I first heard of Philip Glass years ago, I thought he'd be one of the those modern-ish atonal composers I wouldn't enjoy (I guess because someone had described him as being a "minimalist"). But not at all; he's got some fantastic stuff, including some great film work.

EDIT: By the way, if you like what Amazon's got, search for him on YouTube, some awesome stuff there too, like his Two Timpanists Concerto (first movement is on this free album) and Violin Concerto.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

My two cents: I like Glass' Koyaanisqatsi but only with the images from the movie of the same name. The finest minimalist I've ever heard is Steve Reich - blows Glass away every time. Google him and his stuff.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Only available for US, Canada (I think) and a few other places. NOT Europe. No reason to instlal their software (which I'm still trying to find how to uninstall) if you can't download the mp3s.

Never the less Glass is fine! I do prefer Reich, but even more Adams (love his opera "Nixon in China").

I enjoy Glass' work, but his stuff he has done for film are my favorites. His score for the remastered 1931 Dracula http://www.amazon.com/Philip-Glass-D.../dp/B00000JZCI Is one of my very favorites of Glass. A close second would be his score for The Illusionist. I am not usually that enamored with minimalist music, but I enjoy both Glass and Reich. They seem to "add" something extra to their minimalistic approach to music.

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

I find my appreciation of Glass comes and goes. Sometimes I find his violin concerto profoundly beautiful, and sometimes merely irritating. Sometimes I really enjoy my annual showing of Koyanisqaatsi, to my 10th grade students, and sometimes I want to hit my head against a wall to make it go away.

Pity that it is US only again, but Glass is worth listening to. I like his earlier work better than his later. E.g. his string quartet, the violin concerto and the opera "Einstein on the beach" are masterpieces, but Itaipu and his "symphonies" are too much of the same trick for me.

If you're interested in more "classical" minimalist music, you could try John Adams, or if you want it more funky Michael Torke.

I am inspired to use Ctrl+V more...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I am familiar with the work of Philip Glass. IMHO I think he is more important for the composers he influenced than what he has accomplished himself. More the like the guy who invents a new technology, rather than the company that puts it to practical use. Though maybe he's just ahead of all of us.

If you like listening to the original (i.e. Glass) try Steve Reich and John Adams. I put them in the same category as Glass (i.e. interesting, but hard to listen to). Still, I can't deny their importance. I saw the New York production of NIXON IN CHINA (having worked with the director Peter Sellars in the past) and Steven Sondheim was in the audience. I have always thought that Sondheim's score for SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE was influenced by Adams, Reich or Glass (though it did pre-date NIXON IN CHINA).

Allegro Data Solutions

Go Back to forum