• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Studio Cat's "Purrfect Drums"

Share/Bookmark

Studio Cat\'s \"Purrfect Drums\"

I have a project that I am working on where I needed a good drum set. I loaded in Studio Cat\'s \"Purrfect Drums\" for the first time and went to work. I have NEVER heard drum set samples sound so GOOD! MY GOSH, I swear I thought there was a real live drummer in my studio! I am still totally amazed. I have several of the other top drum set libraries in other sampler formats which have been out for a while. Jim Roseberry\'s \"Purrfect Drums\" are many miles ahead of the others! I have never heard such realism and detail! Jim\'s Drum set library is truly the \"bargain of the century.\" There are 13.2 gigabytes of drum set samples on eight compressed CD\'s. The price on these drum sets is way below what they should be, considering much variety and two years of hard intensive work that Jim put into this effort.

You can get all of the details on these drums at www.studiocat.com

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

Re: Studio Cat\'s \"Purrfect Drums\"

Could you possibly post a demo using these soon, Kip?

The demo I heard at the site doens\'t really make me drool. The snare in fact makes me immediaetly dislie the sound. However, everyone seems to rave about the cymbals in this package. Anyhow, I\'m happy with RGD/RMD for sound now (not variety), but I\'d love to hear something good from this library.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    Could you possibly post a demo using these soon, Kip?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would be glad to do this. I am working on some new MP3 demos right now, which should be up on my site in a few days.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

I just got purrrfect drums installed last night (it\'s been sort of a long road to get here, I\'ve been building a new giga PC, and it\'s really been motivated by this sample set). So I\'ve only got a day on it, too early for much of an impression, but I\'ve never had good enough cymbals, and particularly hats with enough articulations to work well on the styles I\'m doing. Finally it seems like I\'ve got that covered. Initial impressions are all favorable.

I got a hard drive just for PD, thank goodness, it is pretty unbelievably huge. Not complaining, at todays prices the whole thing takes about $30 of disk space, and if you\'ve come this far you may as well do it right, and lesser solutions haven\'t really worked from me.

It is rather comical though from a historical perspective. I\'ve got 1.5 gigs of general midi drums!

I placed the order for purrrfect drums on Wednesday.

I realized that I made a slight mistake on the online order form, so I called Studio Cat to fix it.

Jim, the creator of the library, answered the phone and talked to me about the library for about ten minutes (very cool guy).

The CDs arrived at my house on Friday (now that\'s fast).

I didn\'t have time to load it in until last night (Saturday). First I printed out the documentation that is included on the first disc. That impressed me right away because it was so well presented.

I have a Hart electronic kit (similar to V-Drums) and an Alesis DM-Pro. I spent some time mapping out the rock quick kit to the pads and my initial reaction was... \"hmmm pretty cool\". I was\'t initially blown away because I was having problems with the kit triggering correctly. But I was happy.

So this morning (Sunday) I went up to the attic studio with a mission: get the DM-Pro set up CORRECTLY so that it triggers things as it should. After half an hour I was getting even more happy becuase I had my kit triggers set up so that they worked well with the library.

So then I decided to audition a few of the different quick kits. I switched to the Jazz kit and WHOOOOOAAAAAAA!!! I nearly wet my pants with glee when I heard the toms and snare! THIS is the tom sound that I\'ve been hoping to get ever since I first bought the DM-PRO. No matter how hard I tried, I was never completely happy with the toms on the DM-PRO. But now that is a moot issue. I am ecstatic!

I\'m a newbie to the world of gigastudio (this is the first giga library that I\'ve purchased), so I\'m mostly fumbling around at this point. I still have some questions about how to optimize some of the performance parameters, but I\'m sure that once I dig a bit deeper into this library I\'ll be even more pleased.

THANK YOU JIM! You\'ve created a great first impression of what gigastudio has to offer.

[This message has been edited by Kobb (edited 10-08-2001).]

Is there a good kit on this library for pop/rock music? Also, are you able to break it down easily on a track by track basis, snare on 1 channel, hi hat on the other, bass drum, toms; is there individual drum samples? Thanks...

This sounds like a KILLER drum set library....maybe I need to put ours on hold for awhile!!!

Great Job Jim!

Donnie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Munsie:
    Is there a good kit on this library for pop/rock music? Also, are you able to break it down easily on a track by track basis, snare on 1 channel, hi hat on the other, bass drum, toms; is there individual drum samples? Thanks... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that this library was designed with pop/rock music in mind. I\'m a big fan of Jeff Buckley, and the toms on the Jazz quick kit remind me of the tom sounds from his album \"Grace\". There is plenty of impact to the kick as you would expect for a pop/rock sound. The cymbals sound wonderful.

The only things I need to work on are setting up the snare and hi-hats to trigger the multiple samples from my kit. I plan to explore that as soon as I have time. I\'ve only played with the quick kits, so I\'d love to hear from those of you who have experience with mapping the full kits. Any tips?

From what I\'ve read, the full kits are broken down into four sections: kick, snare, toms, and cymbals. I believe that each group can be sent to its own stereo output, assuming your soundcard has an interface with 8 outs.

In general, I\'ve already found the quick kits to have a much more natural sound than the kits in the DM-PRO. There isn\'t a wide variety of sounds, but what\'s there is great (and can be edited or processed to taste). It\'s obvious that Jim invested a lot of time and effort into capturing the kit.

[This message has been edited by Kobb (edited 10-07-2001).]

> I\'d love to hear from those of you who have experience with mapping the full kits. Any tips?

I\'ve been using the full kit to great effect, the quick kits I\'ve tried have been missing some sounds from the full one that I like (as you might guess... maybe I\'ll settle down to a few drums and find a kit that has it all but I don\'t yet know if it\'s there)

I haven\'t figured out a good methodology for playing the full kit from my 88 key controller; it\'s mapped across nearly the full 127 note range, and my controller only does +/- 12 transposition, so it can\'t reach the whole thing. I can do full transposition through the sequencer, but that\'s not a solution for playing kicks at the bottom against cymbals at the top at the same time, so I have to program them in 2 passes, workable but not ideal. I might later see if I can route and transpose channel zones independently, but if possible it will be different from how I\'ve always worked. Not clear what the best solution is, I think Jim programmed this nearly as logically as possible.

I\'m currently always picking the Yamaha toms over the Ayottes. The Y\'s can do the classic \'doom toms\' sound and take processing well. The Ayottes are worlds different, a very interesting singing drum but not right for my stuff yet. I\'d be curious who and what they are working for.

I don\'t understand the question(s) about audio routing, I usually program this thing on 4 midi channels (kick, snare, toms, cymbals) to 4 audio channels, of course you can dup instruments on more midi channels for more audio routing and I do that too. FWIW I have (a few) Frontier audio cards, so I have lots of GSIF output channels; I do all my mixing and processing outside GS.

It\'s a great library IMO. I could still use a nice tambourine and triangle, anybody got favourites and/or demos of these? (Start a new thread if appropriate, I\'ll see it, thanks)

Could someone tell me whether any of the drum samples on Purfect Drums are in stereo? Thanks...

Go Back to forum