• Register
  • Help

Topic: Still can't install omni 64!

Share/Bookmark

Still can't install omni 64!

Still in a Mess! (Help please)

After installing Win7 64 bit and Cubase 64 bit (after using Win 7 RC 64 bit successfully),
    I have begun the process of installing all Spectrasonics applications again. I have Trilogy RMX and Omni.

After some hours and after following advice given on this forum and in the Knowledge Base, I find myself still stuck. Its a looooong time until Monday and I would love to be able to get on with this.

When I open Omni in Cubase, I find that it can't find the default file, or the libraries.

I think I understand the correct process but need to ask some clarifying questions.

Before I do I should like to mention that I have a folder for installed plugin dlls called 'myplugins' on my C drive, which is also my system drive, and I have a hard drive (E) devoted to samples.
    This E drive has a Spectrasonics folder and in this folder there seems to be 2 STEAM folders.

The first is directly in the E: Allsamples/spectrasonics folder, along with a file called DS_Store and an 'omnisphere' folder.

The second in E: Allsamples/spectrasonics/STEAM/omnisphere along with the following folders defaults, documentation. settings library and SoundSources.

As you can see, one folder is nested in the other. This 'nesting' may have been caused by having Trilogy, RMX and Omnisphere on the same system, or it may have been caused by an incorrect installation in the remote past - I dont really know. It seems wrong to have tow folders with the same name.

Now I think I understand that the VST DLL for omni needs either the STEAM folder or a shortcut to that folder in the directory that the VST resides.

I noticed that I had four DLLs at one time so I discarded them all and reinstalled, using only the 64 bit option. After what I thought was a clean 'manual fresh install' I seem to have three dlls

1. C:/Programfiles/Steinberg/myplugins
    2. C:ProgramData/Spectrasonics/Plugins
    3. C:ProgramData/Spectrasonics/Plugins/64bit.

I have tried creating fresh short cuts to the steam folders (in each of these directories), but nothing has worked. I still get :

"Cannot open Multi
    C:\ProgramData\Spectrasonics\STEAM/Omnisphere/Default/default.mlt_omn"

and the libraries are also not found.

This directory mentioned in the error message does not seem to exist even after reinstall.

The VST's info panel states that Cubase is running the correct 64 bit GUI.

These are the questions I need clarifying:

1. If you want to run only the 64 bit plugin, in Cubase only, how many dlls do you need and where should they be?

2. Out of the two STEAM Folders listed above, which one should I be creating a shortcut to?

3. If I have to do a clean reinstall. How is this accomplished?

4. If I go back to the original discs it seems that I will HAVE to install the 32 bit app again and this may cause further confusion of pointers
    5. Is my current STEAM file setup right or wrong? Is it going to cause problems further along the line
    6. What the &&& is going on?

Sorry for the long post, detail was required.

Wonderful synth - I know because it was all working before in Windows RC 64 bit (using Jbridge)

Cumpleetly Discomfumbulated

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Re: Still can't install omni 64!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero View Post
    This E drive has a Spectrasonics folder and in this folder there seems to be 2 STEAM folders.
    You shouldn't have 2 STEAM folders. Try to really start clean and remove both folders, reinstalling from the DVD's. Reason for this is that it's very hard to tell which folder has the latest version. BTW, I would suggest starting with one plugin at a time (if you also have Trilian?), install all dvd's and updates. Your 3. question is also covered in manual/video.

Now I think I understand that the VST DLL for omni needs either the STEAM folder or a shortcut to that folder in the directory that the VST resides.
    This is explained in the manual/readme. Wasn't there also a video of this?

1. C:/Programfiles/Steinberg/myplugins
    2. C:ProgramData/Spectrasonics/Plugins
    3. C:ProgramData/Spectrasonics/Plugins/64bit.
    2. and 3. are probably copies which aren't used by your host. 1. is the only one you need. The last update installer of Omni asks for the 32 and 64 bits plugin folders seperately.

4. If I go back to the original discs it seems that I will HAVE to install the 32 bit app again and this may cause further confusion of pointers
    Why would that be? Only the last update adds the 64bit VST plugin for Omni. As mentioned before try building your system up in small working steps. First install the DVD's, then create the link to steam folder, than make sure the plugin can be found by cubase as a 32 bits plugin and make it wor. After that install the latest update with the 64 bits plugin.

Wonderful synth - I know because it was all working before in Windows RC 64 bit (using Jbridge)
    Zero
    I have upgraded from RC to RTM because it often takes more than a day to get all stuff working again which is a pain.

Good luck.

Here's a little tip for you who want to keep backups and probably need re-installing every now and then:
    Copy the contents of the Omnisphere DVD's to your hard drive and install from there. It's SO much faster.

But yes, remove everything and start fresh. Only 1 STEAM folder should be installed. And there should be 2 dlls. One for 32 bit and one for 64 bit version of Omnisphere. And keep them seperate.
    I have two VST folders like this. In my case FLStudio gets messed up if they are in the same place.
    64 bit plugins -> C:\Program files\VST Plugins\
    32 bit plugins -> C:\Program files (x86)\VST Plugins\

Quote Originally Posted by Mulperi View Post
    Here's a little tip for you who want to keep backups and probably need re-installing every now and then:
    Copy the contents of the Omnisphere DVD's to your hard drive and install from there. It's SO much faster.
    Good tip indeed! I use MagicISO (or any other program that can create ISO files) to make an image of the DVD's and use Daemon Tools to mount the image when installing. Makes installation much faster. Creation of the ISO's does take some time though. ;-)

Thanks for the replies ..

How do you ensure that you can deinstall everything? I cant find a remove program in the control panel 'Add remove programs' and I have no idea where all the bits of the program may lie.

If I use the original install disks I have to re-install then I will HAVE to instal the 32 bit plugin as this is the ONLY plugin on these disks - no 64 bit app at all - only in the update on my desktop.

When I try to install using the disks (disk 1) I dont any longer get an option to install the library files - dont know why, but I expect it is because the library files I have are still there on my hard drive - is this correct?

I have seen the install video - but that video assumes nothing goes wrong. My install finishes half way, according to the video.

Again, How do you de-install Omnishpere thoroughly please? (without disturbing other spectrasonics apps). What about registry entries? How are these removed? Are there any?

Its a great product (and dont be put of buying it!) but I went through this trauma once before with RMX, I think the install application needs re-thinking, and omnisphere desperately needs a option to repoint the VST to another library location - it would save all this hunting around

I dont want to deinstall blindly and screw up again

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Hi all,

"C:\ProgramData\Spectrasonics..." might be a hidden folder. Make Windows show hidden files and folders, and than drag the STEAM shortcut into that folder - worked for me.

Best

Go Back to forum