• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sinfonietta No. 10 "in all kinds of keys...." LOL!

Share/Bookmark

Sinfonietta No. 10 "in all kinds of keys...." LOL!

Hi all,

for some time i've been grappling with the way the masters intertwine various motifs and harmonies and make a cohesive whole out of all that. one night i heard some Tchaikovsky, i forget what work, and something seemed to click for me -- at least in a small way. As a result, i started writing the following, a work in progress, probably only about 1/3 done.
    Here I was attempting to use more modulation, more daring harmonies, motifs that intertwine and sometimes create dissonance, and to understand when this works and when it doesn't.... i don't know if it is good music, but it certainly has been instructive so far.

Comments, critique, suggestions most welcome. For full orchestra.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8350243

Re: Sinfonietta No. 10 "in all kinds of keys...." LOL!

Karen!
    This is remarkable!

You're still in there, yet it's something quite new for you.

Congratulations.

Without looking at a score it's a bit hard to make very specific comments, but here are a few pointers on how to proceed:

1. examine little sections that you've written that you really like the sound of. try to come to an understanding of WHAT is in the sound of that section that appeals to you. So yes, this is a "back to school" assignment.

2. while exploring "new" material and new ways of dealing with material, it is now your job to find ways of balancing with coherence so that the music doesn't sound too "disparate" and "patchy".

3. find which minor modifications to the material cause which sorts of modification to the "sound" of what you are writing. Sometimes, a single interval change from minor to major, or major to augmented, makes a subtle yet noticeable difference.

Happy, happy, joy, joy. You are at a wonderful point in your creative life, Karen. This exploration has already paid off. Brief as it is, this musical fragment is very interesting musically.

Remember, music is inspiration... but it is also a lot of hard work. Don't be afraid of that work. It is SO worth it.

Michel,

wow, thanks for the quick reply, kind words, and also for the excellent "assignments". I shall attempt to answer the questions you pose, and post my answers here for further comment.

Happy Holidays to you and yours,

Karen :-)

Karen;
    OMG!!! This is wonderful and it makes me think some of your spirit, (if not all) has broken free from previously held convention and belief, to explore the new!
    Sophisticated combination's of voices and treatment and the way things resolve and move on, I can hear the change in the choices you have made and your skill set works well with these ideas. So, I am very much impressed with this and if there be more, I would love to hear it! You mention a moment when you were listening to Tchaikovsky, when something clicked. Could you elaborate a little on that?
    I know it can only take a split second to have an epiphany or solve a problem, the answers are there, we only need to be fast enough to see and catch them. I am glad to hear this and enjoyed it very much!

Thanks for sharing and please continue!!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Karen;
    OMG!!! This is wonderful and it makes me think some of your spirit, (if not all) has broken free from previously held convention and belief, to explore the new!
    Sophisticated combination's of voices and treatment and the way things resolve and move on, I can hear the change in the choices you have made and your skill set works well with these ideas. So, I am very much impressed with this and if there be more, I would love to hear it! You mention a moment when you were listening to Tchaikovsky, when something clicked. Could you elaborate a little on that?
    I know it can only take a split second to have an epiphany or solve a problem, the answers are there, we only need to be fast enough to see and catch them. I am glad to hear this and enjoyed it very much!

Thanks for sharing and please continue!!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Thanks so much "sd" for the kind words. I have got good advice from Michel (above) and Matt Phillips, as to where to go from here with this piece, and will certainly post the result down the line -- this one will take awhile, though -- a lot to consider.

You ask to describe what happened at that epiphany. I will write more on that, but right now, it's time to take the pizza out of the oven!!! [drool].

Seriously, I am very interested in the mental process involved in composing. I have been watching my mind struggle for some time with new forms and so on, and this is just the very beginning, I think of the picture coming into focus. More later, and thanks again :-)

Karen,

I have to say this is the most satisfying work of yours I have heard. The harmonic changes are good, but I was struck by the changes in texture - especially from about the 2:00 mark on - the harp, the low strings, the sparing use of instruments to highlight a color instead of being that color.

I would never have guessed that Tchaikovsky was the source of your epiphany (from listening to this), but one finds inspiration in many places. If listening to his work helped you forge a new path, then so be it!

Congratulations on this - keep us posted on how it develops.

And enjoy the pizza

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    You mention a moment when you were listening to Tchaikovsky, when something clicked. Could you elaborate a little on that?
    sd cisco
    Hi again SD, as you requested, a little more on this.

One time Dave Sosnowski (etLux) suggested I listen to Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky at the same time. I did so, and even though it sounds like a strange assignment, it was very instructive: watching my mind closely, I could "see" (or feel) it stuggling to make sense of the two disparate pieces -- it was trying, of its own nature, to find an order and structure that encompassed both in a coherent way of some sort.

I think a good analogy is those "Magic Eyes" pictures -- have you ever seen them? If you stare PAST them long enough your brain - -without your conscioius effort -- processes what is there, and there appears a 3 dimensional picture different than the 2-D picture on the page.

Likewise, our minds are always working to make sense of the things around us, and music is no exception -- I think one reason why serious concert music is not as popular as "popular" music is that it takes more attention and time for the mind to find that structural reference point from which a piece makes sense because the pieces are so much more complex -- an order of magnitude so.

So in the composition arena, I think my mind had been - -semi-subconsciously, chewing on this interweaving of motifs and so on, for some time. But until that moment I described, it felt like though I had a feel for it, could walk around it mentally, and recognize and appreciate it when I heard it, I could not yet apply it to my own music because it was not solidified enough in consciousness to be able to use it consciously. That moment something "clicked" -- halfway I'd say -- and I felt I could write that way -- at a beginner level -- ie, just a hint of it -- but that hint, like the first spark of a fire, could, if I fan it, become something bigger and more powerful than the little epiphany.

Now Matt and Michel have given some very good suggestions as to how I can "fan the fire", so I am setting about doing that.

All additional suggestions welcome, folks!

I hope that all makes sense, SD; it's the best I can describe that moment and its implications as I see them....

Best,
    Karen

Thanks, Karen, you did very well! That was a great assignment from David, but isn't that it, really? The perfect " Modern life" metaphor, multi-tasking, but connecting it all together in the common effort with a shared end and best case outcome.
    sd cisco

Hi all,

Well I have been working on this off and on.
    I can't thank you all enough for your insightful comments and suggestions and assignments -- I still haven't answered all the assignment questions! but one day I hope I will be able to do so.

It is still very rough, and needs much more work to be a finished piece, but as most of you know, I like to share works in progress... so... here it is below. if anyone wants a score, let me know and I'll send one.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8350243

BTW, another first for me -- This april two of my a capella choral pieces will be performed as part of a concert that features artistic collaborations between poets, artists, and composers. The group performing is one of the best choral groups in this region, Colorado Vocal Arts Ensemble (www.cvae.org) and I feel like finally I am beginning to get a little bit connected around this area.

The two pieces are a setting of a mystical Rabi'a poem, "With My Beloved I Alone Have Been" and a setting of local poet (and friend)Price Strobridge's poem "Were Sisyphus to Discover the Glory of Dung". I'm not requesting comments or anything here, but am posting these links just in case anyone is curious:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8578611
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8578607

I hope you all are well and happy.

This morning, Gary and Marianne are on my mind, too, I checked the general discussion, but could find no news..... :-( I hope things are going well, I hope and pray.....

Hugs,
    Karen

ps I know this is still very far from the way the masters work with motives, but i'll keep listening and maybe one day it will sink in..............

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast