Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Pirate site...

Share/Bookmark

Pirate site...

Another Pirate place...

[This message has been edited by SCARBEE (edited 09-07-2001).]

Re: Pirate site...

Hi Scarbee,

Personally, I always buy proper licenses for the samples I use. I think that I have now spent well over $10,000 on sample CDs/CD-ROMs. This has included buying some on the basis of very carefully crafted demos that show the samples in the best possible light, and finding out, after I purchased them, that the samples and/or programming are basically crap! I can assure you that this is annoying as well, especially since I cannot get a refund. One day, I may choose to expose those sample CD producers if I get angry enough.

I don\'t approve of piracy at all, but it is a fact of life. I\'m sure that you realised this before you embarked on developing your sampled libraries. If not, then don\'t you think you may be somewhat naive?

You say: \"What right do they have to give away hours of my life? I have spend months doing these libraries - time I could have spend with my wife and kids. I am so upset.\"

This dosen\'t excuse them, but I think you should remember it was your own decision to spend months doing the libraries and not spend that time with you wife and kids. Take responsibility for your own decisions/actions, which were made before anyone pirated your work.

I have spoken to several \'software\' producers and some have acknowledged that significant piracy has actually helped the success of their business! Do you think, for example, that Cubase would be as successful now if so many people hadn\'t used pirate copies on their Atari computers?

You say: \"This kind of stuff makes me wanna quit doing more libraries - it ain\'t worth it\".

That has to be your own decision, but I expect that you got tremendous satisfaction out of producing such marvellous and well respected sample libraries. You have been given some tremendously positive feedback on your work. Does this not mean anything to you, or are you just interested in money!

Piracy is certainly annoying, but consider that many of those who use pirated copies of your sampled libraries would probably have never bought them in the first place.

Think about it.

Best regards
    Nicholas

Whoah...big mistake posting the site here on this forum. Lot\'s of newbies who might not realize these kind of sites exist. Now they have a link...edit the message and get rid of that link right away!!!!

Now I must add... ARE YOU THAT NAIVE??? Welcome to the software industry!!!! Yes, what you are doing is making \"software\" which opens you up to the same kind of problems the software industry has had since users first pirated their C64,Apple,Atari, etc. floppy disks. And if you think this is the only site with samples on it you\'re wrong. I also write software for a living, it takes me 6 months to a year to write a good piece of software. The same day I release it, it gets posted to all of the pirate networks. There is simply nothing you can do about it. You could rack your brain, get upset, try to prosecute them, shut them down, etc. But you would probably make more money by spending your time making more products. I\'ve been in the software industry for over 20 years now, please keep this in mind, pirates do not buy software or samples, regardless of the price. If somebody wants to rip you off, they will have no problem finding a way to get your samples. That\'s why so many software developers fear the whole broadband thing. It will just make it too easy for the \"average joe\" to pirate large files.

p.s. Now forget you ever saw the site, and get back to making the best bass libraries you can. (Where\'s that damn fingered bass anyway!!)

Hi Nicholash:

I\'m sure that you realised this before you embarked on developing your sampled libraries. If not, then don\'t you think you may be somewhat naive?

Off course I knew about piracy (I had my first Atari/Cubase in 1988), but it is a different experience to see your OWN material giving away for free.

I have spoken to several \'software\' producers and some have acknowledged that significant piracy has actually helped the success of their business!

Well, it doesn\'t help me...

You have been given some tremendously positive feedback on your work. Does this not mean anything to you, or are you just interested in money!

Do you honestly believe that? As things are going now it will take me years to get even, so right now I have only spent money. And I have to consider whether it is worth doing, since I have to do it in my spare time (instead of being with my family, you see?). I work as a full time composer and make a living this way and have rejected film jobs for may thousand dollars just to do these libraries - because i am an idealist and like you to have some great libraries.

Piracy is certainly annoying, but consider that many of those who use pirated copies of your sampled libraries would probably have never bought them in the first place.

This is not true. Many - even professional composers use pirated software, which they use for years and never pay for. Just ask the other developers, they know this as a fact too.

Scarbee

Hi Scarbee,

Sorry for sounding a bit harsh earlier, and I probably shouldn\'t have responded whilst in a state of shock.

Unfortunately, I took a financial risk myself recently (my own decision, of course), but it hasn\'t helped my mood that I just found out today that I\'ve lost most of my investment (over $500,000) and that I may now have to start claiming social security benefits or similar to survive financially.

Best regards
    Nicholas

Hi Nicolash,

I am very sorry to hear that! what a bad day for you.

Hope you are doing alright?

You have my sympathy

Scarbee

\"but it is a different experience to see your OWN material giving away for free.\"

What did you feel about piracy before you realized your samples were being pirated?

Yep, the average joe dosn\'t realize how much piracy hurts. But to be honest Scarbee, it probably hasn\'t affected your income too much. Also, I\'m having a hard time swallowing the pill that commercial producers/composers would actually use pirated samples in their work. I\'m just a novice with a glimmer of hope, of making a few bucks from the online music industry, and I would never dream of using stolen samples in a public offering. And I can\'t imagine someone with a large budget doing commercials,jingles, sound tracks, etc. with pirated samples!!!! Now THAT would indeed suck big time!!! And those are the kind of people to target for the lawsuits, they have money to pay!!

Thanks Scarbee,

I\'m considering making the sampled Bechstein upright a commercial product. I expect it will also be pirated if I do so. I don\'t know if I can do anything to reduce the likelyhood of piracy. If I keep the price fairly low, maybe more people will consider buying it rather than using a pirate copy.

Having had experience myself of the significant effort required to produce a good sampled instrument, I much prefer to buy licenses from sample CD-ROM developers. It is also a way of saying thanks to the developer, and I feel better because my conscience is clear.

From what I read, people love your sampled bass libraries. This should be very satisfying to know.

Best regards
    Nicholas
    p.s. The shock of losing all that money is starting to hurt more at the moment, but I must try not to let it ruin my life or become bitter about it. I gave up my stressful computing career over one and a half years ago. Despite increasing financial hardship, I don\'t regret leaving my job at all. Only trouble is now I just can\'t face working in the IT industry again. In fact, I dread the thought of working for any boss who seems to relish the power they have over their employees.

Hi Munsie,

What did you feel about piracy before you realized your samples were being pirated?

I have always hated Piracy. I don\'t allow my kids to get pirated computer games either - and it is hard to explain sometimes as all of their friends do it!

And I can\'t imagine someone with a large budget doing commercials,jingles, sound tracks, etc. with pirated samples!!!!

Believe me, they do...

Scarbee

SCARBEE, I know you\'re angry. That would infuriate the hell out of me, I know it. But I REEEEEALLY wish you hadn\'t actually posted the link. I guarantee you there are forum users here who never would have known how to find that stuff who will now join in the piracy at yours and other developers/programmers expense. If there is a moderator here with the presence of mind to get rid of that link, please do it.
    Take a breath SCARBEE, for your own sake. I can\'t say I know how it feels to see your own name on the piracy roster but I don\'t imagine it\'s a warm fuzzy feeling. But I guess it happens, no matter what you do.

Gav

Go Back to forum