• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fantasy in c-minor op.2

Fantasy in c-minor op.2

This is my first solo-piano work this far, a 'fantasy' if you will. It was actually born from an interesting turn of events - this year I had the chance to take composition lessons (which would be the first ones ever for me) and my first 'assignment' was to compose a prelude for piano using only four notes c, d, e-flat and f (I might post this prelude here later). Anyway, as I finished the piece, it was time for a second one, and once whilst having another lesson we surprisingly discovered that there was a very common Estonian folk-song that could be played using these four pitches I mentioned earlier. You can hear the choral setting of this here on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSmrR...eature=related
    And from all this, my 2nd assigment in the composition lesson was born and I had to compose a 'Fantasy' for piano which used the main theme(s) from that traditional folk song. Here is the result: http://www.box.net/shared/qq8oqjtcg0 Enjoy and comment!

'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Southern Ontario, Canada

Re: Fantasy in c-minor op.2

Hi Brindle;
    I have listened to both and could hear the common themes between them.
    Your playing is very enjoyable and I liked listening to you work the theme. Thanks for posting!

A friend of mine, he is my piano tuner, who's name is Mark Julson, is a fine
    musician and composer. In 2005, he released a CD called "Listen to the Moon", and it is all theme and variations on Estonian Folk music which he found in a songbook of Estonian runic tunes, or regilaulud compiled by the great Estonian composer Veljo Tormis, see; Listen to the Moon with Mark Julson
    I ended up adding orchestration to one of them and really got into that ancient groove!! Sadly, it was done just prior to my GPO era, otherwise I would post it.

Anyway, that gave me some insight into the music you have presented.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum