• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will sample library writers support migration to other formats

Share/Bookmark

Will sample library writers support migration to other formats

I know die-hard GS fans will flame me for this, but it seems to me that this forum is likely to migrate towards a general forum for discussing state-of-that-art sample libraries , promoting discussion between the developers and users.
    With the advent of Halion\'s ability to import gigasampler format sounds, I was wondering what the sample developers on going strategy was for supporting these other formats. The vast majority of our investemnts have been in hardware and sample libs. The actual software sampler is usually a smaller part of the equation, thus we should all, given a wanting, be able to move across to a different format.
    I would like to know/be reassured by sample library developers that as other software samplers come out, I will be offered a migration path towards that new format?
    Any ideas?

Re: Will sample library writers support migration to other formats

I would say that most likely what you will see is that new sampler programs will offer the ability to convert or read GigaStudio files. Until another format gains the critical mass necessary to drive sales, I doubt the sample developers will target it. Right now GigaStudio has the critical mass necessary to drive sales.

I\'m not too sure people will be able to use large orchestral instruments as successful as in Gigastudio, with say, Halion. Halion just feels wrong for orchestral use. So does cubase in my opinion but that\'s another topic I wouldn\'t worry too much if you\'re into orchestral. There probably won\'t be a good alternative to Gigastudio in years to come.

Thomas

[This message has been edited by Thomas_J (edited 09-06-2001).]

Keep in mind who just purchased the Giga Studio/Sampler lineup. Tascam has no plans to just sit back with their new purchase. Your investment in \"Giga\" software just got a new long term life insurance policy in my opinion. But, there will ALWAYS be a bigger and better deal at some point. Until that happens, relax and make some music...

Hi Thomas,

What is it about Cubase that prompts you to say \"... feels wrong for orchestral use. So does cubase in my opinion but that\'s another topic\" ?

Best regards
    Nicholas

Actually that\'s nothing. Ever since I began exploring sequencers when I was 15, people have been saying \"USE CUBASE! It\'s the best!\" and so I bought an atari ST on which I ran cubase. I became quite used to it, but there was something about its interface, something that I couldn\'t quite pinpoint. Then again there was the fact that techno music was the thing for me. I listened to Prodigy all day long, and composed loads of stupid little breakbeat pieces using cubase on my Atari, until I finally one day I discovered the fascinating world of orchestral music, and I\'ve been hooked ever since. I changed platforms from Atari to PC, and immediately installed Cubase. Looking at that standard Cubase interface made me cringe at the very thought of what I had composed with this piece of software, so I began searching for a replacement sequencer. Then I was introduced to Cakewalk, and later Logic. Both of these programs are superior in design and interface (and not to mention stability!!) to Cubase in my opinion. Logic takes a while to learn, and I\'m still learning. Cakewalk is, well, a cake walk really, and you can compose quickly, intuitively and effectively without crashes, interface problems and the non-intuitive design. I also like the simple and good audio support in cakewalk. Timing is also good. I wish it had better quantizing. Logic\'s quantizing is much better than that in cubase and cakewalk. Not that I quantize too much but every now and then you need a tight percussion track. So like I said, it\'s a different topic, and it\'s not so much a claim than it is a personal matter of mine. Please don\'t flame me for disliking cubase. I\'ve been through that discussion like a million times before

Thomas

Go Back to forum