• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO MIDI Playback Issues

Share/Bookmark

GPO MIDI Playback Issues

I've been experiencing two types of playback issues using GPO4 to play back MIDI files.

1. Tempo playback is not correct. That is, the file will play back, but not at the tempo indicated by the MIDI file. This occasionally rectifies itself after a number of bars.
    2. The first few notes of the first measure are occasionally dropped.

I'm using NoteFlight to generate the files, so it could be that the MIDI files may be malformed. However, Windows Media Player and Finale NotePad don't have these problems playing back the files.

Is this a known problem with Aria? I'd attach an example MIDI file, but I get this error (I'm using Firefox as my browser):
    dcuny, you do not have permission to access this page.
    Last edited by dcuny; 11-18-2009 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Edited the formatting

Re: GPO MIDI Playback Issues

Do you have the master tempo track activated?
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

just because an app fixes MIDI file errors, doesnt mean everyone has to.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Hi, David.

Sorry for the delay; I've sent you the MIDI file.

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    just because an app fixes MIDI file errors, doesnt mean everyone has to.
    Every application I've tried - Reaper, MuseScore, SynthFont, Finale NotePad and Windows Media Player - with the single exception of Aria, has been able to load the file and see the initial notes.

While that doesn't rule out an error in the file format, I thought it gave merit in reporting the problem.

Thanks!

hi

could you provide the .aria file with it?
    the midi file has 20 tracks and has multiple tracks feeding the same channel
    tracks 10 and 11 both go to channel 11
    tracks 16 to 20 all go to channel 16...

so depending on the patches loaded and their polyphony settings... combined with the fact that aria's voice stealing is fixed to "steal oldest".... i guess you follow my drift.

Sorry, that just happened to be a file I had tried last.

I also get similar issues with files with a reasonable number of MIDI tracks. For example, I've had the same playback problem with a MIDI file with only a single instrument (AFAIK) that has similar glitches. I'll email it (much) later today - I'm running late for work.

With the file I sent, you should be able to duplicate the first note failing to play by:

• Loading the MIDI file
    • Loading an instrument into slot 1 (I used Flute Player 1)
    • Setting the slot to MIDI channel 1
    • Leave the remaining slots empty

You should find that the track doesn't play the initial note, which is held for a number of bars. The first 10 tracks behave that way for me.

I've emailed a single channel MIDI and .aria file which have playback issues on my machine. It's a bit odd, in that it initially plays back properly, but on subsequent playback drops the initial notes.

Additonally, I've also included a MIDI file where the tempo change doesn't appear to kick in until several bars after the beginning.

Again, the issue could very well be the MIDI files themselves and not Aria. I lack the tools to determine where the fault lies.

Thanks again!

hi.

the are a few MIDI file playback bugs in the standalone application indeed (not in the engine itself). thanks for files. working on it....

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Any progress?

Go Back to forum