• Register
  • Help

Topic: Noob Trouble: Garritan + Any Other Sequencer

Share/Bookmark

Noob Trouble: Garritan + Any Other Sequencer

I'm using Garritan Personal Orchestra (and no, not the new one. This is the 2004 release), and being the first time using it I'm not entirely sure what its full potential is. For starters, I cocked my head upon learning that you don't really "record" using GPO. I have Reason 4, and am getting used to that setup, so naturally I thought I could connect the two using MidiYoke... I've spent almost an entire week trying to find a way to record from GPO onto another sequencer and the only thing I can think of anymore is recording raw audio, totally destroying any possibility of doing serious note tweaking. I can't have this. I will admit I'm a complete idiot heading into this attempt, but I can't help but wonder why I should have such a giant headache. I am seriously about to freak out and smash my computer into tiny bits!

To sum it up in one question, is there a tutorial or SOMETHING, ANYTHING that can help me get GPO to record onto another sequencer? I have FL Studio 9, Cubase SX, and Reason 4.0 if that helps. The synths on this program are astounding, and it makes me want to cry to think this program didn't come with a built-in recording interface! I mean, there isn't even a track editor... -sigh-... Please be nice, and don't take what little self esteem I have left away, haha!

Re: Noob Trouble: Garritan + Any Other Sequencer

You should post your question in the Garritan subforum, where it rightfully belongs; You'd have much better chances of getting qualified help there.

That being said, always use GPO as a VST/AU plugin in your sequencer, if it permits it. That is by far the easiest way to use it.

Easy. Use GPO as a VST plug in, say in Cubase. There will be a .dll file in the VST plugins folder and GPO should appear in the list of VST instruments. (Can't remember now, cos I'm Cubase 5 but it might be F11 to open)

You can then assign Midi tracks in Cubase to each of the sounds you have
    loaded into GPO. If youv've only installed standalone you might need to reinstall. Every time you run the midi the GPO plays, each instance of GPO loaded up as a VST instrument will play 16 tracks.

All of this is then recorded onto audio either within Cubase or in real time
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Awesome guys, I will check to see if my limited brain can fully accomplish this. Even if it doesn't, I appreciate you guys replying. I'm at the deep end with this thing...

EDIT: I've got GPO as a VST instrument now, and Cubase is reading my MIDI controller but it's not reading any sound. I suppose I have to figure this one out on my own, haha! Thanks guys. I mean, I at LEAST have it as a VST, but how to get it to work is beyond me. Here, I've taken a screenshot to make things a little simpler.

This is what I'm looking at. If there's nothing noticeably wrong, I really am on my own here and I won't push you guys to answer anything, haha.

Its bedtime here, I'll try to help tomorrow
    Derek
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

That's ok, if this is really aggravating I'm not going to keep bugging you guys, I'm just really frustrated and almost ready to give up. The Garritan homepage sends me here as its forum, so I don't know where else to go. Thanks for sticking by, though. I just can't understand why things have to be so hard...

You are using very old versions of this kit, so it is difficult for me to see exactly where you are but your screen shot looks right.

NOW - Load an instrument, like the piano shown. The small icon directly under the words CPU usage indicates the midi channel number. The piano is receiving MIDI from channel 1, which is what your screen shot shows.

IMPORTANT - older versions of Garritan products required that you send a CC1 (modulation in GM but volume in GPO) before any sound is heard. The default is zero - that is no volume. (Please check this in your manual it might be a different controller in your version)

I would put in a simple repeating loop in the midi track, run it and then try turning the volume level up with the mod wheel OR put in CC1 = 120 using List Editor in Cubase if you don't have one.

Its all in the manual. That should do it

There may be free updates available from the version you have so check that out. I definitely don't recognise the GPO part of the screen shot, its before my time here. (although it quite similar.)

That's ok, if this is really aggravating I'm not going to keep bugging you guys, I'm just really frustrated and almost ready to give up. The Garritan homepage sends me here as its forum, so I don't know where else to go. Thanks for sticking by, though. I just can't understand why things have to be so hard...
    It is not hard at all once you get the idea, its just a bit different.

As for asking questions, people on this forum seem to really enjoy being able to help, although not many use Cubase (its too,too European you know)
    Derek

I was referring to the Developer Forums > Garritan Libraries > Personal Orchestra subforum, which is read by many knowledgeable Garritan users. They don't all read this part of the forum, so you'll have a better chance of getting useful support there.

Haha, bucks, European is where it's at! Most of the magazines we get on music have everything marked in pounds rather than dollar signs anyway.

As far as the Cubase/GPO situation, thank you very much! I've been having a rough week with work and college going on that solving this problem was like another nail in my coffin. I'm off to tweak with it! Thanks again for your help, and I hope to hear from you in the future!

Go Back to forum