• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Bizet - Farandole

Share/Bookmark

Bizet - Farandole

Hello Friends;
    Today, I am pleased to present my production/render of Farandole, by Georges Bizet. The Farandole is from Bizet's music for the play L'Arlésienne (The Woman from Arles), which is set in southern France. Two contrasting themes are heard in this stimulating orchestral piece. The first, in minor, is a march theme adapted from a southern French folk song. The lively second theme, in major, has the character of the Farandole, a southern French dance. Over the course of the work, three types of musical texture are presented, i.e., homophonic, polyphonic, and monophonic. I hope you will enjoy this piece. Bizet - Farandole

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Bizet - Farandole

Very enjoyable. I'm used to a more stately introduction, but I know only one version of the Arlésienne Suite (by Barenboim). The dance hits the spot. The mix seems to disfavor the brass at the end, but perhaps that's only in comparison to Barenboim; it might also be a compression/equalization thing. I know Bizet worked with lighter orchestras. Your version highlights the minor major changes better than the recording I have. Until now I had never noticed that it gets announced a few bars before with short dabs in the strings. Unfortunately the machine gun effect rears its ugly head in the fast repetitions at the end, but for the rest, a nice, lively rendering. It's a nice piece of music to come back to from time to time. Whether you have to be lifted up a bit or are high in spirits, Bizet works. Thanks!
    Theo

sd cisco:

Really great rendering of this Bizet piece. Very
    entertaining listening because your creative use
    of samples is very evident.

Great production sd.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Lovely
    Is it all GPO?
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    Very enjoyable. I'm used to a more stately introduction, but I know only one version of the Arlésienne Suite (by Barenboim). The dance hits the spot. The mix seems to disfavor the brass at the end, but perhaps that's only in comparison to Barenboim; it might also be a compression/equalization thing. I know Bizet worked with lighter orchestras. Your version highlights the minor major changes better than the recording I have. Until now I had never noticed that it gets announced a few bars before with short dabs in the strings. Unfortunately the machine gun effect rears its ugly head in the fast repetitions at the end, but for the rest, a nice, lively rendering. It's a nice piece of music to come back to from time to time. Whether you have to be lifted up a bit or are high in spirits, Bizet works. Thanks!
    Thank you!
    This one has been one revision after another. I listened to a number of versions for reference of course, and maintain a still shifting notion of what comprises the "right" mix for the brass in the Finale. I will make another tweak, but I have just finished uploading yet another "tweaked" version with respect to when the cymbals start in the Finale.
    Thanks for your comments.
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    sd cisco:

Really great rendering of this Bizet piece. Very
    entertaining listening because your creative use
    of samples is very evident.

Great production sd.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Thanks Jack!
    I find I get on quite intimate terms with the material in these pieces and each is replete with challenges. But it is a good way to gain understanding of how the things are put together.
    Thank you very much for your comment!!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Very effective rendition of this spirited piece, SD. Bizet died tragically early (at 37) and didn't live to see his masterpiece "Carmen" getting the acclaim it got later. He had a lovely melodic gift, and composed with real craftsmanship and genius.
    Many thanks for posting this.
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france View Post
    Lovely
    Is it all GPO?
    Hi Vic!
    Thank you for you kind remark! and yes, it is made entirely from GPO4 and I am using Cubase 4.5 on Windows.
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Very effective rendition of this spirited piece, SD. Bizet died tragically early (at 37) and didn't live to see his masterpiece "Carmen" getting the acclaim it got later. He had a lovely melodic gift, and composed with real craftsmanship and genius.
    Many thanks for posting this.
    Eugene
    Thank you so much Eugene!!
    It is indeed very tragic Bizet died so young, I found considerable evidence of the craftsmanship you mention in Farandole as well, and the great and colorful melodic originality.
    Thanks again and take care!
    sd cisco

Cisco

Very nice rendering job on this one. You have tweaked some great sounds out of GPO. It just seems a lot easier to do with GPO4 for some reason.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast