• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB & Kontakt 4 distorted

Share/Bookmark

JABB & Kontakt 4 distorted

I just installed JABB after upgrading to Kontakt 4. When I load a sound file, it plays but is heavily distorted. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks!

Joe Mattingly

Re: JABB & Kontakt 4 distorted

I have not bought K 4, but with K3.5 it works fine. Have you deleted your Kontakt 2 or 3?
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hello Joe,

I think Gunther has touched the spot.

It seems that Kontakt 3 or 4 (whether player or full) will not work happily side-by-side with Kontakt 2. If both are installed this will cause distortion and other playback problems.

If you don't have Kontakt 2 installed then I can only suggest checking out your soundcard/midi interface. Other than that the only other suggestion I have is to try uninstalling, cleaning out your system of cache and temp files then reinstalling.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    It seems that Kontakt 3 or 4 (whether player or full) will not work happily side-by-side with Kontakt 2. If both are installed this will cause distortion and other playback problems.
    Not "will", Michael. Kontakt 2 and Kontakt Player 2 always coexisted happily with Kontakt 3 on my PC.

Joe, are you by any chance loading the old JABB KP1 instruments? Because they do indeed sound horrible in K3+. If you are, you must update to JABB KP2.2.3 (I don't think you actually have to install KP2, only the the library itself) and then use the new KP2 files in K4.

All good suggestions.

So I downloaded the KP 2.2.3 installer, and installed it.

When I run it, however, it always tells me it cannot find the files (files missing!) - and it doesn't seem to matter if I run Kontakt 2 or 4; same result.

So I deleted everything and re-installed it; same thing.

And, I'd like to activate it, but the serial number from my original disk does not work, and I have no activation code.

Should I contact NI?

Thanks,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    Not "will", Michael. Kontakt 2 and Kontakt Player 2 always coexisted happily with Kontakt 3 on my PC.
    Hello Nickie,

Are you using Vista or windows 7? Come to think of it, Joe didn't mention which OS he's using.

I have the Full Kontakt 2 updated to 2.2.4 and the Kontakt Player 2.2.4 with JaBB and CoMB. I tried updating the Kontakt Player to KP3 and got what Joe describes, huge distortion plus fall-outs. I uninstalled the KP3 and everything worked normally again.

As an experiment, I then uninstalled the full Kontakt 2 and the KP2 then reinstalled the KP3 update. When I opened KP3 the JaBB and CoMB icons were both loaded in the left window but no instruments were loaded. I tried the usual of pointing the KP3 to the libraries but it still wouldn't load them in the usual way in the left window and accessible from the icons. I could load each instrument manually and they played normally, ie without the distortion. I then tried reinstalling the full Kontakt Player 2 and the distortion returned.

I tried all the above in both Vista and Windows 7 with the same results. It's interesting that you have no problems. I'd like to know if anyone else has K3/K4/KP3 working alongside K2/KP2 in Vista or windows 7 so if anyone has, please let me know.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by jmattingly View Post
    All good suggestions.

So I downloaded the KP 2.2.3 installer, and installed it.

When I run it, however, it always tells me it cannot find the files (files missing!) - and it doesn't seem to matter if I run Kontakt 2 or 4; same result.

So I deleted everything and re-installed it; same thing.

And, I'd like to activate it, but the serial number from my original disk does not work, and I have no activation code.

Should I contact NI?

Thanks,

Joe
    Hello again Joe,

There's no need to contact NI.

First, you didn't mention how you are using KP2. Are you using this in a sequencer such as sonar or Cubase or are you using it in a notation editor such as Finale or Sibelius. Either way you need to copy and paste a file into the VST folder of whichever you are using for KP2 to find the library files and you need to get a new KP2 serial number from NI.

To get your new KP2 serial Number:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...27&postcount=3

For KP2 to find the library files:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...63&postcount=4

You should find everything you need there.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Michael_uk; 11-22-2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added another link.
    Michael

Hey, Michael. Still on good ole trusted XP. Always works.

It's a bit odd, what you tell. K(P)2 and K(P)3 don't really have anything to do with each other. They are two completely separate applications; they shouldn't (and I never heard of this issue before) interfere with each other.

When you say you can load the files manually I suppose you mean from the Files tab? At least that's a good sign.

"pointing the KP3 to the libraries": you mean by first removing the libraries entirely from KP3 and then adding them anew with "Add Library" and pointing KP3 to the folders holding the .nkx, .nkc and .nks files and the "Instruments" and "Multis" subfolders? Well, if this doesn't work I'm lost, because it should; this is the appropriate way to do it.

I've been loading both Kontakt 2 and Kontakt 3.5 side by side in Sonar without any distortion problems. This is on Windows XP x64.

Jim

Thanks Nickie and Jim,

I wonder if this is a Vista/Windows 7 thing? I'd like to know what Joe is using.

If I get a chance I'll try my combination on an XP machine and see what happens.
    Michael

Go Back to forum