• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What do I do with my old GIG libraries?

Share/Bookmark

What do I do with my old GIG libraries?

Hey, all. I used to frequent this forum several years ago, having purchased a few libraries in the .GIG format (i.e. Advanced Orchestra, some Quantum Leap libraries such as Rare Instruments). It's been quite a few years, however, since I've touched them (back around GigaStudio 2 release time).

Problem is, I'm at a loss as to what will actually run the suckers these days. So, my question: What is a good combo (incl. sequencer) for these? Pretty much everything I have is in the GIG format.

Thanks! I'm using Vista at the moment, by the way...

Re: What do I do with my old GIG libraries?

Kontakt 3.5+ imports giga really easily. But you should invest in GPlayer, which is a virtual gigasampler -- great little tool, loads all your giga sounds intact, and isn't a CPU hog.

Kerry

G-Player is MAC only. Kontakt does pretty well. You could also try Samplelord. Download the demo and check it out.

Didn't realize that about GPlayer. Bummer, it's a great little program.

Kontakt 3.5 does a much better job (and faster) than K2 did at importing giga stuff. And it's super stable. Highly recommended.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by composernyc View Post
    Didn't realize that about GPlayer. Bummer, it's a great little program.

Kontakt 3.5 does a much better job (and faster) than K2 did at importing giga stuff. And it's super stable. Highly recommended.

Kerry
    +1. everything has converted seamlessly so far. crossing fingers...

I'm still very disappointed in how Gigapiano 1.0 sounds in Kontakt 3.5 - IMHO the import is *hopeless*.

Greg.

importing GS libraries into Kontakt (v2, V3, V3.5, and now V4) has always been hit or miss, some import beautifully, some not so beautifully. BUT, the same applies to other "foreign" formats, I have a large EPS/ASR library - which imported into GS nicely) and a not-so-large Akai S9xx library. Of the bunch the Akai stuff seems to be the easiest to import. I also own Chicken Systems Translator, and that seems to be a good alternative, but nothing is perfect. IOW, some libraries that did not import well into Kontakt were translated well. But again, with some it wasn't pretty.

GPlayer or the LinuxSamplerProject seem like the best bets at the moment (GPlayer is allegedly in beta for Windows). And you never know what Garritan might do with the assets from Giga...
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Funny how things have come full circle for me .....Being a Mac user , I set up a PC ONLY because of GigaStudio, and waited YEARS to do it as I really did not want to have to go to a PC ...I bought into a bunch of different sample packages, and had issues with my PC that left me only 2 hd's to use with my faulty motherboard...( a RAID issue on the motherboard ) ...... Then Giga went belly up !!... .......Now GPlayer comes along, and it's Mac only !!!.....From reading other posts , I don't think that Gary G. is going to support the old Giga, so GPlayer seems to be the only program out there that does NOT convert the .gig files, but simply plays them ..... Thank God for that as I have too much invested in Giga samples .... Since Tascam will no longer support Giga by the end of the year, I will no longer support Tascam ....Jim

I tried the demo of gplayer and some of the gig instruments I loaded were badly
    out of tune. Anyone else notice this?

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut View Post
    Funny how things have come full circle for me .....
    Oh there's some serious irony there... no question about it.

I'm a PC user, but I too had to use a second machine for GS. And I set up a handful of GS only PCs for friends with Mac centric studios. It wasn't a bad solution, but it was never quite right, and Tascam did not get around to fixing the problems before they abandoned the product.

I was concerned when Tascam bought GigaStudio, not because they didn't have the resources to succeed, they certainly did, but because they had never sold a shrink-wrapped software product before - and that's a very different marketplace!

In the end they took their eye off the ball... and it was all over but the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I don't know what Garritan is going to do with the code, and I'm not waiting around to find out. Garritan products are great, and great values, but their track record with delivery is, well, imperfect?

So I'll try G-Player, and I'll continue to translate and tweak in Kontakt, and I'll continue to mutter incoherently under my breath...

And maybe I'll end up buying a Mac for G-Player<G>!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Go Back to forum