• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rienzi's prayer-almighty father

Share/Bookmark

Rienzi's prayer-almighty father

R Wagner a piece arranged for Wind Ensemble.
    This is 3rd version.
    Edited parts/balance, etc.

Gary

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=8377789&q=hi

Re: Rienzi's prayer-almighty father

Gary

Very nice arrangement of this. Although with Wagner, it can be difficult to get all of his nuances with a smaller ensemble.

Still, a good piece.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thanks for listening, Ron.
    Over the years-- in various Bands-- I enjoyed the experience of the Overture to Rienzi. The Overture reminds me of Richard Strauss.
    The cleanness of a small group is a good trait. As in all Band arrangements, the extended 16ths create a performance problem. I work on letting several instruments share the one line. Sometimes it works.

Gary

It's a good arrangement. It has great moments, but something seems wrong in the beginning. The monophonic lines at the beginning (around 0:30) don't sound quite right to me. I feel they need more "drama": slowing down, longer breaks, more legato, crescendo, something like that. More of a build-up, but perhaps it is because your tempi are high, or perhaps I'm just too old-fashioned. The main theme is quite lovely arranged, sounds very "cantabile", and the brass support works very well in the slower passages. The woodwinds playing the faster string passages get drowned a bit, but you can't have it all.

The sound is a bit nasal at points (e.g. at 1:25). I don't know if that's a fault of GPO, or that you are pushing the mod wheel a bit to hard, but it's not a fault in the arrangement. But there is a wrong note at 2:09/2:10 and a similar on at 2:12 I think.
    Theo

Hi Theo, thanks for listening.
    I revised various sections today. It seems like when one thing is fixed, another pops out...
    I'm using FINALE 2010 with Finale's Garritan sounds.
    All variations, etc. are written in.

Gary

Very nice job, Gary. It's hard not to recognize Wagner's music.
    His composing style and choice of instruments give him away
    in most instances.

Did you find Finale 2010 significantly easier to work with than
    Finale 2009? I'm playing with Finale 2009 and GPO4 and it is
    working as well as expected, but it seems that Finale has a way
    of treating instruments differently; that is, the same "expression"
    or "articulation", when applied produces different results....even
    "within" instruments of the same family (as in strings). Crescendos
    have frustrated me mostly along with "accents" of all kinds.

Just wondered if you found any significant improvement in using
    GPO4 with Finale 2010.

Great job Gary.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi Jack,
    Thanks for listening.
    Like every FINALE update, there's some good & some bad.
    The worst aspect-which may have a fix-although I haven't gotten an answer- there is a constant need to use redraws because half of the screen is not viewable. I now have no automatic fill in of rests; I don't hear the pitch as I enter a note; slurs & crescendo-decrescendo move & interfere with the barlines; Finale Garritan doesn't always save so that you have to redo the instrument list.

That said, the ARIA with Finale is extremely easier to use than the old. Notes entered become easier because you can enter multiple measures of quarter notes; enter 8th notes; etc without having t o erase auto rests.
    I still had to rebar 8th notes in 12/8 time.

Unequal instruments continue, but I'm not certain that what happens may be part of written dynamics you don't notice.

Gary
    Last edited by garymosse; 11-25-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add info

Instrument balance is difficult, and I guess more so in Finale than in a DAW. I think you can rely on the conductor and players to get the balance right.

I noticed you changed the tempi somewhat. I don't know if it's because I got used to it, or that you hit the sweet spot, but it sounded more fluent. Don't fiddle too much in your score to get it better: a good conductor should be able to sort that out. Did you hear Karl Bohm's interpretation? It's about twice as slow. That's the power of the Kapellmeister. They just ignore all your careful annotations...

I still think there is a wrong note or two. I heard one at 1:46, and I think one at 2:13 (which was before at 2:09?).

The 2nd rendering has some serious clipping (the harsh, rattling sound; you can hear it in the intro), which comes from having the levels too high. If you reduce the master volume with 2 or 3dB, that should be over.
    Theo

Hi again Theo.
    I found a few more wrong notes. I did this arrangement from a piano score and some measures were copied to the wrong measures.
    This rd version seems more blended.

Gary

You did it from the piano score? That's pretty neat. This version sounds cleaner. The only thing that jumps out is the harp-like run in the intro: it's a bit too loud. For the rest everything combines very well. I've heard it a couple of times, and it works for me! Sounds good. It's a good "mood" piece for a good band. Would work very well in a solemn setting as a concert opener, or encore. It's lyrical, and the last measures have a very sweet resolution. Well done.

BTW, I found an arrangement for wind ensemble of the introduction. Perhaps you find it interesting: pdf. It's just the first 3 pages.
    Theo

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast