• Register
  • Help

Topic: Haydn Farewell Symphony

Portsmouth, Hampshire,UK

Haydn Farewell Symphony

Hi All,

I've been transcribing scores to MIDI and writing odd snippets of music for a while now, purely for my own amusement. Since I've never learned to read music in the sense of being able to "hear" what I'm reading, transcription has also been a means of adding pieces to my music collection that I would not otherwise have had access to. Last Christmas, I decided to "upgrade" my efforts in this respect and bought a USB audio interface, at the same time finding the online retailer was offering a special on GPO - which I of course added to my order with considerable speed! I also upgraded my existing (cheap) software to complete my "virtual studio setup".

I have wrriten a couple of pieces this year, but so far not completed the "engineering" on either so a couple of months ago, I decided I needed a "commissioning project" in order to refine the workflow (notation to MIDI, conversion via "home brew" software, final edits and mixdown in the DAW). Since this year is Haydn's Bicentennial year (okay - so the actual was 6 months ago, but I'm a s-l-o-w worker), I decided that the Farewell Symphony would be an appropriate choice, particularly considering the "ensemble thinning" at the end of the last movement, and I duly resurrected 14 members of the Sinfonia Esterhaza for a repeat performance complete with all repeats as written.

The above is the short version of the history! For the unabridged version, I'm afraid you'll have to wait for my autobiography - if it ever gets written!

Anyway, now is the moment of truth. I'm hoping that I've got the mix right and got the right ambience for the performance (sadly, the Haydnsaal was fully booked for the duration by a convention of Altiverb users). Most of all, I'm hoping that the players aren't let down too much by arthritis and asthma - after all, they're all at least 250 years old!

The first movement can be found here.

Best regards,

Last edited by kastra; 11-24-2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Corrected link url

Go Back to forum