• Register
  • Help

Topic: At wits end with GPO strings and legato phrasing.

Share/Bookmark

At wits end with GPO strings and legato phrasing.

I've been using GPO3, and latterly GPO4, with Finale 2009 and Sonar 8 for just over a year now. In that time I have not been able to solve the problems I am experiencing in producing a decent legato from the strings (both section and solo). Rather than a smooth transition from note to note I am often only able to achieve phrases full of detached and accented notes. Even more bizarre is the inconsistent nature of these problems. Some Finale scores will start out with a decent legato and then stop producing it part way through. Some sections will play with a legato in one editing session and then not in another. Some scores just will not yield any legato at all. I am having similar problems when using Sonar as the host.

In the case of Finale I am using the notation samples together with the appropriate expressions and smartshapes. In Sonar, I am using the standard samples, and have made sure that controller 68 is active. All to no avail.

If I can't solve this soon, I am going to have to ditch GPO in favour of an alternative product. I really don't want to have to do this as it will be expensive, and - this problem aside - I have been extremely happy with GPO.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Steve S.

Re: At wits end with GPO strings and legato phrasing.

Steve,

If it's possible for you to post your Finale file, it'll be easier to diagnose your problem.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    Steve,

If it's possible for you to post your Finale file, it'll be easier to diagnose your problem.

JT
    I've uploaded the string section from part of an arrangement I'm currently working on, together with an MP3. Bars 16 - 19 are particularly horrible.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/781737337...88408a15243015

I've had to use YouSendit to host these files as I get a message telling me that I don't have permission each time I try to upload to this forum.

Thanks

Steve S.

Hey Steve!

Welcome to the Forum! (I've always wanted to say that!) I also have Finale 2009 so I downloaded both files to see if I could duplicate the legato problem you were having. I hate to say it but I was unable to duplicate it. Here's what it sounds like on my computer:

http://www.box.net/shared/338femofvu

Now, I have had that problem you mentioned a while back when I used an old DAW program. I couldn't get the strings to sound legato for anything. However, I haven't run into this problem with Finale '09. At least one question comes to mind. What string instruments are you using?

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    Hey Steve!

At least one question comes to mind. What string instruments are you using?

Gary A.
    Initially I was using the section stirings from GPO3. More recently I've been using GPO4. Same problem with both.

However, I have now discovered something interesting. I just tried using the Garritan instruments that are bundled with Finale (never bothered before as I acquired GPO3 at the same time as Finale), and the section strings play a very good legato with no problem.

This makes no sense to me at all. I can only assume that it is something to do with the HP instrument preferences, although I can't for the life of me work out where the problem lies.

If anybody who is able to achieve a proper legato from their GPO strings with Finale could let me know what HP settings they are using, I will be undyingly grateful.

Steve S>

Now, I don't know what happens in Finale, but I can tell you, that using CC#68 with the standard samples in Sonar won't work (unless they changed this completely in GPO4). It's CC#64 you should concentrate on here.
    CC#64 with the Standard set and CC#68 with the Notation set.

Go Back to forum