• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Topic: Bowed tam-tam

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Bowed tam-tam

    Bowed tam-tam is one of the most creepiest/inspiring sounds I've ever heard. Anybody know where to find samples of it?

  2. #2

    Re: Bowed tam-tam

    Oops, deleted
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

    Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

  3. #3

    Re: Bowed tam-tam

    I may have a go at recording one. There's a tam tam in the department where I work - the only problem is I haven't seen the frame in several months, but I'm sure I can figure another way to hang it. I'll let you know if I manage it.
    David

  4. #4

    Re: Bowed tam-tam

    Dave,

    you had bowed cymballs, wouldn't these be of interest to anyone? (Still have them in my hard disk, but not hosted anymore, since CGEmpire shut down! )

  5. #5

    Re: Bowed tam-tam

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I may have a go at recording one. There's a tam tam in the department where I work - the only problem is I haven't seen the frame in several months, but I'm sure I can figure another way to hang it. I'll let you know if I manage it.
    Pingu, that would be awesome!!! Keep us updated. You can make sounds come out of thing that sound like they're reverberating straight from the pits of hell. I love it.

    And Nikolas, bowed cymbal is nice too, but not the same as bowed tam-tam. Bowed tam-tam I believe is much deeper, fuller, and shriekier sound.

  6. #6

    Re: Bowed tam-tam

    Quote Originally Posted by bond6007 View Post
    And Nikolas, bowed cymbal is nice too, but not the same as bowed tam-tam. Bowed tam-tam I believe is much deeper, fuller, and shriekier sound.
    If that's what you want then you might also want to check out Tonehammer's 'Frendo.' I'm not entirely sure how it was constructed - seems to be a collection of barbed wire and other metal parts, but the sound is truly tortured.
    David

  7. #7

    Re: Bowed tam-tam

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    If that's what you want then you might also want to check out Tonehammer's 'Frendo.' I'm not entirely sure how it was constructed - seems to be a collection of barbed wire and other metal parts, but the sound is truly tortured.
    Sounds like a cool library Pingu, but I'm planning on getting this piece that I'm working on performed at some point.

  8. #8

    Re: Bowed tam-tam

    I checked Elements in VSL, I saw Gong Bows but no tam-tam bows.

  9. #9

    Re: Bowed tam-tam

    Well, so far I'm not getting very far with this. The Tam-Tam seems to take far too much energy to get it moving - I just about get the first squeak before running out of bow. I don't know if it's because it's a cheap model, or because it's slightly beaten-up, or because I'm not holding it still enough. I'll keep trying, but it's not looking good.
    David

  10. #10

    Re: Bowed tam-tam

    What bow are you using, Pingu?

    A bass bow would be the best I think....
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

    Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •