• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - Do dogs smell illnesses?

Share/Bookmark

OT - Do dogs smell illnesses?

I just had a couple of weird happenings, with dogs...

The one happened yesterday, when a couple of stray dogs stopped outside my house and started barking at me! I was in the house (balcony) and there was absolutely no teasing from my behalf (I love dogs since I'm forced to love myself! Youf!)

The other one happened today, while I was walking towards my studio. A black stray dog stopped me and several other dogs started barking at me... I tried avoiding him (it's a he and I know this dog. I've never had trouble) and he kept blocking me off. I grabed a big stick, for intimitation purposes but he didn't back off either. Had to walk backwards and get a new route...

I'm ill and I could probably have the H1N1 virus. Not bad at all, nothing too serious and all this scare is just... weird for me, but it remains that this trouble with dogs made me wonder... :-/

Re: OT - Do dogs smell illnesses?

There are currently studies underway attempting to train dogs to sniff out certain diseases. Results are promising.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5183290

I love viruses that sound like they're a distant spiral galaxy. Do you have many stray dogs in your area?

Yup plenty! And to be honest I quite love a few and I have no troubles with the rest... They appear to be the "neighbeurhood pets" (<--- heavy spelling issue, right there!) and nobody really minds. We offer food, etc... And the kids love them. This is why I was so stunned!

Nikolas

I have read that dogs can be trained to find out if a person has cancer or not, so yes they can smell sickness. Dogs have like 50 times the number of olfactory receptors that humans do and their brain is more attune to smells than ours are.

Most every dog I have ever met has liked me. But every and I do mean every single Rottweiler that has ever met me has been scared to death of me.

I have snuck up on a few and as long as they don't look at me, they will allow me to pet them. But as soon as they look at me, they run away and cower in the corner.

Go figure

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

I also love dogs, but strays can be extremely dangerous. They often carry fleas, ticks and diseases, including the always-fatal one...rabies!
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Nah Larry - rabies just makes you walk with a limp these days. Or is that gentian violet making crabs walk with a limp? I forget.

Anywayyy.... could have been the UK or could have been the USA - can't remember - but recently there was a cat that lived in a nursing home or hospital and always slept on the bed of a person who was about to die - and would then die. True story. Would always get it right apparently. Wonderful animals - that's why I have two - British Shorthairs. Particularly beautiful to look at - the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland was based on the British Shorthair. They are strong and loyal - by my God they are one of the dumbest at the same time. They can't help it - they're sort of hooray Henrys . Very posh - but daft.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    I also love dogs, but strays can be extremely dangerous. They often carry fleas, ticks and diseases, including the always-fatal one...rabies!

Oh, like my ex wives.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Well, I can confirm that dogs and cats are sensitive in some fashion to illness. All of mine have been aware that something was not quite right. The are apparently quite able to recognize age and infirmity. When my mother was in her 80's, my big Shepherd was very gentle upon meeting her the first time.

Some people seem to have some attribute that strongly influences animal behavior. In my own case, nearly all dogs are instantly friendly. I seem to be able to control them when they are aroused, but don't know why or how. On a few occasions, I have stopped attacks by dogs who had raised hair, ready to spring, bared teeth, etc., just by voice command. Once, in San Francisco, I stopped a dog from attacking my partner, told the owner if he did not take care of his dog I would break both of them in half! More recently, I have encountered mountain lions at close range, (15 feet) and both of us determined that the other intended no harm. I have no idea of the reason for such behavior. But it is there.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, I can confirm that dogs and cats are sensitive in some fashion to illness. All of mine have been aware that something was not quite right. The are apparently quite able to recognize age and infirmity. When my mother was in her 80's, my big Shepherd was very gentle upon meeting her the first time.

Some people seem to have some attribute that strongly influences animal behavior. In my own case, nearly all dogs are instantly friendly. I seem to be able to control them when they are aroused, but don't know why or how. On a few occasions, I have stopped attacks by dogs who had raised hair, ready to spring, bared teeth, etc., just by voice command. Once, in San Francisco, I stopped a dog from attacking my partner, told the owner if he did not take care of his dog I would break both of them in half! More recently, I have encountered mountain lions at close range, (15 feet) and both of us determined that the other intended no harm. I have no idea of the reason for such behavior. But it is there.

Richard
    Thats very interesting - I thought I was a peculiar one when it came to befriending dogs..its comforting to know that there are others with this super human ability!

Once while working with young people in a very rough area of Manchester (just after one of my mentees had died from a shot to the head at 2 am...) a bunch of the kids got angry playing football. They disappeared and 5 min later returned with a huge rottweiler that was going mental. They were getting it angry and prepping it to set it on an unfortunate kid who had put in a nasty tackle. just as they released it of the chain I stepped forward and gave it a pat. I was lucky in that I knew the dog's name (cos the kids had let it slip) and I was able to befriend it quickly. The police turned up a few minutes later!

Those children were only 11-15 years old. Crazy times.

Go Back to forum