• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Topic: Snow Leopard/Logic 9 & Spectrasonics

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Snow Leopard/Logic 9 & Spectrasonics

    I was just wondering who is using Logic 9 on Snow Leopard. I keep hearing about these memory issues on Logic 9. Loading a few tracks of Omnisphere Im hearing will bring Logic 9 to its knees? Well please weigh in with your time on Logic 9....
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

    www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

  2. #2

    Re: Snow Leopard/Logic 9 & Spectrasonics

    Hey Plus!

    Have we met? : )

    I think I'm one of those Omni users you are referring to, though I would also like to see what others have to say about this. For the benefit of this discussion, I'll reiterate my own experience, and then hush to let others share what they know.

    The issues that I detailed (in another forum), are perhaps indicative of Logic's memory allocation itself - as a 32-bit application - where any number of memory-heavy plugins are pushing Logic to its 3.9 Gb limit on my mac pro. I'm sure you know this already.

    I tend to see this happen where Omnisphere is used in combination with other host-dependent plugins that don't route their memory needs outside of Logic. I haven't yet worked with Trilian enough to report, as I'm in the process of getting those Trilogy wrapper projects changed over.

    As mentioned elsewhere, I have a meager project with five tracks, but apparently Ivory, along with a couple of other VIs, plus a particular Omnisphere patch = memory error for me. Never mind that I have 12 Gb installed on my mac pro.

    By contrast, I have a 20+ track project with mostly VIs that take advantage of some type of external memory routing (like Kontakt), and I have two instances of Omnisphere loaded with no problems.

    I think it comes down to the 64-bit question, though I'm confused about where this is a host-depedent waiting game, or where this can happen (for any plugin) irrespective of the host, now that the OS itself supports this.

    pax

  3. #3

    Re: Snow Leopard/Logic 9 & Spectrasonics

    Quote Originally Posted by gpax View Post
    Hey Plus!

    Have we met? : )

    I think I'm one of those Omni users you are referring to, though I would also like to see what others have to say about this. For the benefit of this discussion, I'll reiterate my own experience, and then hush to let others share what they know.

    The issues that I detailed (in another forum), are perhaps indicative of Logic's memory allocation itself - as a 32-bit application - where any number of memory-heavy plugins are pushing Logic to its 3.9 Gb limit on my mac pro. I'm sure you know this already.

    I tend to see this happen where Omnisphere is used in combination with other host-dependent plugins that don't route their memory needs outside of Logic. I haven't yet worked with Trilian enough to report, as I'm in the process of getting those Trilogy wrapper projects changed over.

    As mentioned elsewhere, I have a meager project with five tracks, but apparently Ivory, along with a couple of other VIs, plus a particular Omnisphere patch = memory error for me. Never mind that I have 12 Gb installed on my mac pro.

    By contrast, I have a 20+ track project with mostly VIs that take advantage of some type of external memory routing (like Kontakt), and I have two instances of Omnisphere loaded with no problems.

    I think it comes down to the 64-bit question, though I'm confused about where this is a host-depedent waiting game, or where this can happen (for any plugin) irrespective of the host, now that the OS itself supports this.

    pax
    Whats up Pax

    Damn your everywhere lol. Yea I thought maybe I would post this here and see what other people are going through.

    Are you saying that after 5 tracks Logic 9 is brought to its knees?

    I really wanna check out Logic 9. I may install it out of being impatient lol. I guess if it all goes bad I can reinstall Tiger/Logic 7... Ummmm right ?
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

    www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

  4. #4

    Re: Snow Leopard/Logic 9 & Spectrasonics

    It is not a Logic Pro 9 issue per se, it is a 32 bit RAM limit of a max of 4 GB per app limit. Until we have 64 bit hosts with 64 bit plug-ins, like we have with Vienna Ensemble Pro and Stylus RMX, there will need to be a balancing act. Omnisphere, and ewven more so Trillian, requires a lot of RAM so if you are running them inside Logic, they will start to eat up Logic's RAM allocation. I can get about 8 of them but in tandem with others, I have to make some choices. The same is true of Digital Performer, Cubase, PT LE, etc. as they are all 32 bit on the Mac.

    Until all is 64 bit, a help is to run some of the software instruments in Vienna Ensemble Pro and/or Plogue Bidule and/or as standalones. (I cover all of these in my upcoming book "Going Pro With Logic Pro 9.")

    Ity is also helpful to use EXS24 and Kontakt 4 /3.5 where you can as they address RAM outside of the host even when they are opened in the host.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

    www.jayasher.com

  5. #5

    Re: Snow Leopard/Logic 9 & Spectrasonics

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    It is not a Logic Pro 9 issue per se, it is a 32 bit RAM limit of a max of 4 GB per app limit. Until we have 64 bit hosts with 64 bit plug-ins, like we have with Vienna Ensemble Pro and Stylus RMX, there will need to be a balancing act. Omnisphere, and ewven more so Trillian, requires a lot of RAM so if you are running them inside Logic, they will start to eat up Logic's RAM allocation. I can get about 8 of them but in tandem with others, I have to make some choices. The same is true of Digital Performer, Cubase, PT LE, etc. as they are all 32 bit on the Mac.

    Until all is 64 bit, a help is to run some of the software instruments in Vienna Ensemble Pro and/or Plogue Bidule and/or as standalones. (I cover all of these in my upcoming book "Going Pro With Logic Pro 9.")

    Ity is also helpful to use EXS24 and Kontakt 4 /3.5 where you can as they address RAM outside of the host even when they are opened in the host.

    So when Logic goes 64 bit will that help me since I only have 4 gigs of ram?
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

    www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

  6. #6

    Re: Snow Leopard/Logic 9 & Spectrasonics

    No, you will need a lot more RAM if you are going to use large RAM based sample libraries. Omnisphere, Trillian, etc.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

    www.jayasher.com

  7. #7

    Re: Snow Leopard/Logic 9 & Spectrasonics

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    No, you will need a lot more RAM if you are going to use large RAM based sample libraries. Omnisphere, Trillian, etc.
    Yea I thought so, but even now in Logic 9 & SL everything seems good except for one issue, with to many tracks of Omnisphere. Well I guess technology is starting to out grow me yet again lol. Not time for a MacPro yet. I can't to see where they go with the MacPros though.
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

    www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

  8. #8

    Re: Snow Leopard/Logic 9 & Spectrasonics

    I thought the whole idea of multicore processors and the huge amounts of RAM these newer computers have, was also to address issues like this...to allow processors to split up tasks? To have huge amounts of RAM available for these programs to run in.

    Going by what you guys are saying, what is the point of that whole deal then? I mean are Trilian and Spectrasonics just too intense for current computers and DAW's? What is the point of that?

    Why would anyone want to have a soft synth program that sounds cutting edge great, but effectively cripples the host DAW because it is sucking up it's memory allocation?

    Anyway, you guys are way more knowledgeable than I on these matters so I am going to take what you say at face value.

    I have seen a few posts along these lines of the 32 bit vs 64 bit and 4G being the max amount of memory........ So why did I get 6G RAM? Did I waste a whole lot of money on Apple Premium RAM?

    I wish that Spectrum, or someone else who knows the skinny, would address these allegations in detail and how the whole 32/64bit max 4G RAM issue affects various DAW's....Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase etc etc and the difference in effectiveness between the Windows and Mac versions.

    I mean, I have seen the videos and they were all done on a Mac. I know Omnisphere and Trilian SOUND fantastic, better than anything I know of.

    But how are they currently playing with Logic, Pro Tools and others on the Mac?
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

  9. #9

    Re: Snow Leopard/Logic 9 & Spectrasonics

    Quote Originally Posted by Plus View Post
    So when Logic goes 64 bit will that help me since I only have 4 gigs of ram?
    Yes. The 32/64 bit issue has nothing to do with RAM. Having a 64 bit host allows you to use many more plugins and larger samples. Having more RAM improves performance.

    - Glenn

  10. #10

    Re: Snow Leopard/Logic 9 & Spectrasonics

    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Yes. The 32/64 bit issue has nothing to do with RAM. Having a 64 bit host allows you to use many more plugins and larger samples. Having more RAM improves performance.

    - Glenn
    I always hear a no/yes answer to that question lol. I guess I wont know the answer until Logic goes 64 bit....But I agree with the post above. Who should be the company to address this issue? Apple or Spectrasonics?
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

    www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •