• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Omnisphere out of memory with the latest version

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere out of memory with the latest version

Hi,
    I would like to know if anyone encountered memory issues with the latest Omnisphere version?
    Up to now I've been able to run almost 2 full instances of Omnisphere with no problem on my Q6600 (quad core), 4GB RAM system. I've upgraded to the latest version of Omnisphere and now I'm getting "out of memory" messages from Cubase with only 1 instance of Omnisphere and only 6 patches loaded. That can't be right.
    So has anyone else noticed something similar?

Thanks.
    Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, E-MU 1616m audio interface, Cubase Studio 4.1.2, Windows XP Pro sp.3, Omnisphere, Atmosphere, Addictive Drums, Amplitube 2 + Jimi Hendrix, Monstrous

Re: Omnisphere out of memory with the latest version

sort of.......but instead of getting the notification that it is out of memory, what happens on my system is that you load trilian or omnisphere and you get a blank GUI, which is a sure sign of memory problems....never had this problem with omnisphere until trilian came out and I guess they updated omnisphere..this sometimes happens usually ironically when I try to run two or more spectraonics instruments (from trilian, omnisphere and stylus rmx).....it happens even when I dont' use more than one part of the spectrasonics instrument loaded and I try to load another spectrasonics instrument.......and my guess it has to do with the 3GB switch that I am running since one other software I use, speakerphone has the problem but much much worse.

Nuendo 4 XPSP3 4GB, QX6700.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Hmm, I'm also running the 3GB switch...
    Anyway, I sent tech support an email.
    Maybe you should too.
    Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, E-MU 1616m audio interface, Cubase Studio 4.1.2, Windows XP Pro sp.3, Omnisphere, Atmosphere, Addictive Drums, Amplitube 2 + Jimi Hendrix, Monstrous

I did on the 16th of the month, but just realised I never got a response.

This problem first appeared for me in Stylus RMX 1.7 before omni and trilian came out, and they were able to fix it....for 1.8....hopefully they can fix this too.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Quote Originally Posted by yairhol View Post
    Hi,
    I would like to know if anyone encountered memory issues with the latest Omnisphere version?
    Up to now I've been able to run almost 2 full instances of Omnisphere with no problem on my Q6600 (quad core), 4GB RAM system. I've upgraded to the latest version of Omnisphere and now I'm getting "out of memory" messages from Cubase with only 1 instance of Omnisphere and only 6 patches loaded. That can't be right.
    So has anyone else noticed something similar?

Thanks.
    I suspect you're referring to the low memory warning in Omnisphere 1.1? Omnisphere 1.1 does not use more memory than 1.0. but that warning is new to 1.1. You can turn it off on the system page if you want.

- Glenn

Also, for anyone running out of memory when using Trilian like Richard is, be sure to check the "Memory Problems?" FAQ for Trilian at support.spectrasonics.net.

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn. In fairness I didn't read the FAQ before, but just read it and I am not sure that is the problem.
    I think it is a problem with the interface taken up valuable resources.

For example let us say I start a new project. Add one instance of RMX, with a few parts.
    Add omnisphere with one part.
    Then try to add trilian... from the time I try to add trilian without loading any patch (beyond the default patch that it loads with), trilian's GUI comes up blank.......if I save that same project and restart nuendo (cause even if I close that project and start a new project, and try to open trilian or omnisphere on a fresh project, their gui opens blank. Almost like the memory has gone to the great blue memory sky :-)). So I have to close Nuendo, reopen nuendo.
    Let us say I then reopen my saved project and instead of trying to add an instance of trilian, I use that one omnisphere instance and add a trilian bass preset to part 2 of omnisphere, it works fine.
    To me it is like the GUI's take up lots of memory.
    I have a similar problem with speakerphone with the /3GB switch....
    And Stylus RMX 1.7 had the problem but it was fixed by 1.8.
    thanks
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------

Your intuition is usually right about things like this, but this is indeed a different problem. It sounds like it's time for you to make the move to a 64 bit host and put these memory problems behind you :-).

- Glenn

lol... oh I agree with you..... waiting to see what next year brings in processors.....wanting to go back to macs but not sure if snow leopard is going to offer me the low latency I require and I am afraid that some key equipment will not have 64 bit drivers.... so I am giving it a few more months for more developers and users to walk the brave path....Hopefully by May I will stick my toe in the water and my whole foot :-)
    Plus I have to wait till Nuendo 5 is out.

rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------

GlennO, I'm getting the same "out of memory" message from Cubase (and not Omni I think) that I used to get when I had 2GB of RAM, didn't use the 3GB switch and had one of the first Omnisphere versions installed. I know this because Cubase most of the time crashes after this warning message.
    I've looked at the Windows task manager right before I try to load another patch that crashes my system. It says:
    PF usage 2.26GB
    CPU Usage 27%
    Physical memory (total) 3.4GB
    available 986MB

Should Omni crash with these numbers?

I've sent a screen caption of all the numbers to tech support so you can maybe have a look there.

Go Back to forum