• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 64 Bit... So confused... Any Thoughts?

Share/Bookmark

64 Bit... So confused... Any Thoughts?

My current DAW is an old 2.6 ghz P4 with 2 gigs of ram running Windows XP SP3. It works great and runs all of my VST's nicely. After upgrading Atmosphere to Omnisphere and wanting to get a few of the newer EW libs like Silk, etc. I know that 2 gigs of ram and a P$ processor doesn't cut it so I guess it's time to get a new computer.

It seems like a quad core processor with 8 gigs of ram would be a decent system and could handle programs like Omnisphere and Silk, etc. I have read so many threads here about 64 bit issues and am nervous about making the jump.

I have an Echo Audio Layla 3G that appears to have 64 bit drivers. I also have a ton of VST's, some that have iLOK protection (MOTU Ethno Instrument) and I have read that jBridge will not run this program because of the iLOK protection. And I have some older VST's like FM Heaven, Xphrase, SonicSynth2 etc. Will these work with jBridge? Do I run the risk of not being able to use some of my beloved VST's if I migrate to 64 bit?

I really want to get my hardware current so that I can run Omnisphere (currently I can only run a few sounds in it per song and it starts to crap out) I really want to break the 4 gig ram barrier (I know I said I only have 2 but it seems like putting good money after bad if I upgrade the ram on my current machine to 4 gigs).

Do I buy a new machine and use my older machine as a slave for older VST's? (I really don't want to do this)

Should I upgrade the ram in my current machine to 4 gigs (about $160 bucks for older PC3200 1 gig chips) and stay with what I have?

Any help or insight would be appreciated. I'll list my VST's below in case any of you have had success/failure with any of them.

Thanks again for any input!

All the very best,

Darren

PS I use Cubase 5 as my Host

VST's include EW NAtive Instruments version of Gold Pro XP, Silver, Stormdrum 1, EWQL Choirs, Vapor, Cult Sampler, Hardcore Bass, Bosendorfer 290... MOTO Ethno, Omnisphere, Atmosphere, Stylus RMX 1.5... Native Instruments Komplete 6... Kore2... VSL SE and Extended, Appasionatta Strings and Extended... FM Heaven, Xphrase, Sonic Synth 2, Albino 3, Wizoo Verb, Korg Digital Legacy collection, Crono X, etc
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: 64 Bit... So confused... Any Thoughts?

I think the first question is are you going to run Cubase 32bit or Cubase 64bit? I would advise the former, as then all your plugs will work. You can use J-Bridge for the 64bit ones, I would imagine.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I think the first question is are you going to run Cubase 32bit or Cubase 64bit? I would advise the former, as then all your plugs will work. You can use J-Bridge for the 64bit ones, I would imagine.

D
    I've heard the 32bit version can't use more than 4GB RAM on a 64bit computer so he would have 4 dead gigs if he gets a computer with 8GB RAM.

I think your two options are to either go with the 32bit version and use only 4GB RAM - or go with the 64bit version and use all 8GB, but then there is a risk some of your older plugins will not work.

Again - that's what I've heard. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    /the Babies

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBabies View Post
    I've heard the 32bit version can't use more than 4GB RAM on a 64bit computer so he would have 4 dead gigs if he gets a computer with 8GB RAM.

I think your two options are to either go with the 32bit version and use only 4GB RAM - or go with the 64bit version and use all 8GB, but then there is a risk some of your older plugins will not work.

Again - that's what I've heard. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sort of true, but not in practice. That's what apps like J-Bridge and VE Pro are for.

I'm using Nuendo 4.3 32bit and my template is 24GB using VE Pro.

D

Hi Darren,

I have a Quad Core 6600 at 2.4 GhZ with 8G ram running Vista 64 bit. Sonar 8 Producer is my DAW. I have 4 3.5" 500G hard drives that run at a seek time of 16mb. I use 1 hard drive for the operating system and I have spread my libraries over the remaning 3 HD's. I leave 30% of each hard drive unused to speed up search times.

This computer is only used for Music and nothing else. I connect it to the modem only when I wish to download an update or some music software.

I run a lot of the same libraries as you. Lots of East West sets and Komplete 6 for instance as well as Omnisphere. They run flawlessly. I run older plug-ins as well that work quite well with bitbridge.

If you can manage it, I would advise buying a new computer and use it only for music. Keep the old one for everything else.

Also you should look at Windows 7 64 bit instead of Vista. There are quite a few threads on W7 around different music sites. Vista works well for me and is very stable now. However, based on what I have read, the transition from XP to W7 will be more straight forward than to Vista.

Regards John

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the help. I was hoping to run Cubase in the 64 bit mode. It seemed wierd to upgrade to 8 gigs of ram and a 64 bit OS only to run my host as a 32 bit app. (this is why it gets so confusing for me)

Maybe what I should do is buy a new computer and then start porting each piece of software over one at a time while I continue to compose with my older system. This would involve swapping my audio card and dongles.

In the end I am hoping that I can have a single computer with enough ram to hold a decent amount of newer and older VST's. I still manage to get a pretty decent amount of music out of my older system. It just seems that the newer VST's, like Omnisphere, Play, etc are more resource hungry.

Any other thoughts would be welcome!

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

My solution is to have to partitions with one having a 32 bit OS and the other having a 64 bit OS. Currently I'm running Windows XP on both.

I use the 32 bit partition for the VST's that just don't work well under 64 bit. As time goes on, this is getting to be fewer and fewer plugins. This partition is also used for my video editing software and for burning blu-ray discs.

I use the x64 partition for almost all orchestral works and for doing Finale notation.

It takes twice as much time to setup but it's worth it to be able to run everything.

Jim

I'm right there with you Darren. I actually have a pretty decent pc but want to go into Cubase in a 64 bit OS so I can utilize a full 8 gigs of ram. I'm really thinking that a dual boot is the best way. I'll have to let you know how it goes if I get it done anytime soon.

Eric

Talking Re: 64 Bit... So confused... Any Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins View Post
    I'm right there with you Darren. I actually have a pretty decent pc but want to go into Cubase in a 64 bit OS so I can utilize a full 8 gigs of ram. I'm really thinking that a dual boot is the best way. I'll have to let you know how it goes if I get it done anytime soon.

Eric
    Eric,

When you say dual boot I think you mean the ability to either boot into a 64 bit OS or a 32 bit OS? I understand that you could use your older VST's in 32 bit mode but then you couldn't use more than 3.25 gigs of ram. If you booted into 64 bit mode you could see the 8 gigs of ram but might not be able to use your older VST's.

Is it better to buy a new 64 bit machine and run Cubase and all of your 64 bit compatable plugins on it and then slave your older 32 bit machine to just host the older 32 bit plugins? That way you would not have to choose which VST's you would be composing with (as you would have to with a dual boot system) Of course this is all moot if you are not going to buy a new machine)

Is a new machine with jBridge the best way to go?

Thanks again!

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

Right,

I should have mentioned that I also have my older P4 that used to be my main DAW. I can port over any plugs that dont work in 64 bit to it. Meanwhile, I can try to run a whole new 64 bit OS on my main machine. If it turns out to be a total nightmare, I still have my old 32 bit OS to fall back on. I'm still old school with only a single midi cable from my DAW to my slave. Hey, 16 channels is 16 channels.

Go Back to forum