• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any thoughts on Kore 2?

Any thoughts on Kore 2?

Hi All,

I have recently bought Komplete 6. I have found it to be a very useful addition to my softsynth resources.

I am toying with the idea of getting the Kore 2 software edition. I am wondering can those who have it tell me what they find it to be useful for. I know it organizes sounds and has effects ect. I am also aware that there are sound libraries for it. I am wondering beyond that how they use it in the studio.

Does it improve work flow for instance. Perhaps the effects are quite good. Any information is appreciated.

I have downloaded the demo and the free kore player but it will take me a bit of time to investigate them. So if anyone has advice it is appreciated.

Regards John

Re: Any thoughts on Kore 2?

I'm using Kore2 (with the controller) and Komplete as well .What I like about Kore is that you can mix all your VST and AU plugs/VIs, not only NI ones.The browser works well, you can easily integrate third party sounds in it.FX included are OK but not terrific.Tons of feature to talk about, you should try deeper the demo version.....
    In the studio I use it as a host on a dedicated computer for VI instruments and in live situation as a plug in Ableton Live.
    To me you miss a lot if you don't take the hardware controller.You can assign as many controller pages as you want for your VI/Plugs and so tweak without the mouse but knobs and switches(very good ones) instead: much faster and easier.This is to me one of the the biggest advantage of Kore.
    The only bad thing to say is that NI is slow to fix bugs..as you will see since you now have Komplete.I usually stick with "working versions" and wait bug fixes before installing new versions.
    Hope it helps.

Hi Jazzobizz,

Thanks very much for the information. Now I am having second thoughts and will consider the controller as well.

Regards John

I too have Kore 2 with the controller and have used it sparingly over the years with FM8, Absynth, etc. It was a bit of a drag in the beginning because I thought it would be a great control surface for all of my VST's but it really only worked properly with NI instruments. They just finally upgraded the software to do work as as MIDI contrlooer. It's still not as easy as a procedure like Midi learn (right click on a button in a VST interface and then move a slider, etc) but it does finally work with VST's like Albino, etc.

It's cool that they offer a lot of soundsets for it. I just bought Sonic Fiction and it's amazing to tweak the Kore control knobs and totally mangle the sound.

Kore also seems to be a bit CPU intensive but I have an older machine. If you have Komplete it would be a decent investment. Believe it or not one of the hardest things about it is that there are so many sounds available, and so many ways to tweak them, I find I burn through a ton of hours going through presets rather than composing.

Good luck with your decision,

"Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Hi Darren,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I can relate to spending time with music but not getting much composing done.

Becoming familiar with the software and sounds, not to mention keeping up with updates can be quite time consuming.

As you say hours go by and you realize you have not composed very much.

So far it looks as if the Kore 2 with the controller is the way to go.

Thanks again for your input.

regards, John

Philadelphia PA USA

Hi..I use Kore2..I don't have much use for the controller however..I enjoy the fact I can create racks with anything I want then call it up stand alone or in whichever DAW I am using...I also have Komplete5 but don;t use many of the items from that..I mix it up a lot with other software...Not that I don't use the NI stuff..I just like to mix them with stuff like Zebra.MiniMonsta and Omnisphere...Kore2 offers lots of possibilities...See if you can buy the software version and add the controller later without paying more for the upgrade than it would be to buy the whole thing at once.....Then you may have a better idea of wether it is needed or not..JON
    Logic Pro8
    MacBook Pro intel
    PTs 7.4

It's a brilliant product, and can be expanded with all your (Edit:almost)VST's, and those tasty little Korepacks. I use it a lot with komplete 5.

Kore as a midi controller is sort ok, but not the best I tried. I find the nanokontroller from Korg to be a better/cheaper option for synths with midi learn.

Hi Jon, Hi Lhama,

Thank you both for this information and your views about Kore's usefulness. It is really helping me to make a decision.

Regards John

Go Back to forum