• Register
  • Help

Topic: Drag 'n' Drop - RMX - Windows 7

Share/Bookmark

Drag 'n' Drop - RMX - Windows 7

Since upgrading my system to Windows 7, Cubase 64, I am having problems dragging and dropping MIDI files from RMX to Cubase. I position them where I want them in the required track and when I drop them, they do their own gig and either go to the track underneath or create a new one. I can then manually move the measures onto the right track but this didn't happen under XP and Cubase 5 32-bit. I have no problems with drag 'n' drop with Superior 2.0

Is it a fault of Cubase 64, Windows 7 or RMX?

And what is the solution?

K

Lightbulb Re: Drag 'n' Drop - RMX - Windows 7

Hello, Kevin,

I'm sorry to say I haven't had that problem. I'm running the 64-bit versions of Windows 7 Pro and Cubase 5.1, along with the latest version of RMX (1.9e). With that said, let's take a look at your Cubase preferences, specifically:
    MIDI
    --> MIDI File

There are several check boxes under Import Options. One of them is "Import to Left Locator." According to Cubase's help file:
    If this is activated, the imported MIDI file will be placed so that it starts at the position of the left locator - otherwise it will start at the beginning of the project. Note that if you choose to have a new project created automatically, the MIDI file will always start at the beginning of the project.
    So, check that it's not turned on. Maybe it's that simple.

My MIDI import preferences are set up as follows:
    CHECKED:

• Import marker. ("If this is activated, Standard MIDI File Markers in the file will be imported and converted to Cubase markers.")
    • Ignore Master Track Events on merge. "(If this is activated and you import a MIDI file into the current project, tempo track data in the MIDI file is ignored. The imported MIDI file will play according to the current Tempo track in the project.If this option is deactivated, the Tempo Track Editor will be adjusted according to the tempo information in the MIDI file.")

UNCHECKED:

• Extract first patch. ("If this is activated, the first Program Change and Bank Select events for each track are converted to Inspector settings for the track".)
    • Extract First Volume/Pan. ("If this is activated, the first MIDI Volume and Pan events for each track are converted to Inspector settings for the track")
    • Import controller as automation tracks ("If this is activated, MIDI controller events in the MIDI file will be converted to automation data for the MIDI tracks. If this is deactivated, Controller data for the MIDI Parts will be imported.")
    • Import to left locator
    • Import dropped file as single part. (If this is activated and you drag and drop a MIDI file into the project, the whole file will be placed on a single track.)
    • Import to instrument tracks. ("If this is activated and you drag a MIDI file into the project, an Instrument track will be created instead of a MIDI track. Furthermore, the program will load the corresponding track preset for the instrument track (based on the program change events included in the MIDI file.")
    • Auto dissolve format 0. ("If this is activated and you import a MIDI file of type 0 into the project, the file will automatically be “dissolved”: For each embedded MIDI channel in the file, a separate track will be inserted in the Project window. If this is deactivated, only one MIDI track will be created. This track will be set to MIDI Channel “Any”, allowing all MIDI events to play back on their original channels. You can also use the “Dissolve Part” function on the MIDI menu to distribute the events onto different tracks (or lanes) with different MIDI Channels at a later stage.")

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

The first time you drag a MIDI clip from RMX into the project, Cubase might not assign it to the right channel. It surprised the heck out of me when Cubase played back some demented piano instead of an RMX groove!

Anyway, you'll have to manually select Stylus RMX, channel 1 (for example), from the MIDI output pulldown menu in the inspector window. After that, Cubase remembers and subsequent MDI files will go to the correct RMX channel. Weird, but it works.

Take care,

Didier

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    Since upgrading my system to Windows 7, Cubase 64, I am having problems dragging and dropping MIDI files from RMX to Cubase. I position them where I want them in the required track and when I drop them, they do their own gig and either go to the track underneath or create a new one. I can then manually move the measures onto the right track but this didn't happen under XP and Cubase 5 32-bit. I have no problems with drag 'n' drop with Superior 2.0

Is it a fault of Cubase 64, Windows 7 or RMX?

And what is the solution?

K

Go Back to forum