• Register
  • Help

Topic: Something a little dark...again...

Something a little dark...again...

So a year or so ago, I posted a piece called "Something A Little Dark." Well, it seems I've decided to come up with another something...that's a little dark.

A few weeks ago I posted the beginning of a composition called "Beneath." This is the complete version of Part I. I say Part I, because I've introduced a few themes that I'd like to expand on in later sections, but I feel this portion of the piece is complete as is (minus any tweaking I decide to do later, based on your suggestions and my decisions ).

Like I said, most of it is mysterious in feel (one short section is a bit lighter to give some contrast), and it's just over 4 minutes in length, so I caution you if you're not feeling up for something like that

Anyways, I ramble... Here are the links to the hi-fi, lo-fi, and download. Thanks for listening. As always, I appreciate your comments!

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=8376039&q=lo

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=8376039&q=hi

If you would prefer to download it, you can click here:

Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Hey people, listen to this!

I hadn't gotten around to listening to it yet, and I almost forgot about it, but what a waste that would have been. This is a great piece. Bit post-minimalist, well orchestrated, very consistent, yet not dull for a semiquaver, flowing, uses its themes properly, and holds the attention. Very neat. I hope this bump will get your work a bit more attention!

Re: Something a little dark...again...

Thanks, FLWrd! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. This post has actually been getting quite a few reads, and I can tell through soundclick that Beneath has been getting quite a few plays. But I know as well as any that coming up with a thoughtful response can take time. I've always found it difficult to post in the Listening Room, mainly because I cannot think of much to say other than something along the lines of, "Great work!" Though, I know something so simple can mean a lot! (every comment I get I cherish greatly )

So for your comment, I thank you, and I really enjoyed your take on my piece as post-minimalist. I've recently been listening to a lot of minimalist work, in addition to the normal music I listen to, and it certainly has influenced my recent compositions.

Thanks for the bump!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

You're welcome, you deserved it.

I know it's hard to comment on pieces posted here, but yours deserved some acclamation! It's hard because we (or at least, we two) feel the need to write something more than a superficial adjective, and most of us (I guess!) don't like to write negative criticism either. And sometimes we just don't like the piece, not because it's bad, but because it isn't our style.

Well, that was not the case with your piece. And parts of your work had a "minimal" sound to it, but went just one step beyond that, which I think is a good direction. Minimalism has its virtues, but we shouldn't stick to it dogmatically. Carefully dosed minimalism with a bit of late romanticism and some early 20th century avant-garde is a much nice mixture, as you've shown.

And this
    I've recently been listening to a lot of minimalist work, in addition to the normal music I listen to
    was good for a smile...

Keep up the good work!

Southern Ontario, Canada

Hello Michael; "Every comment I get I cherish greatly". That is good to know! Your work effectively takes ownership of the space it inhabits and makes the most of the dark anxiety that is present. So, quite dramatic and with a certain cinema graphic tension.
    Well done, I can't wait to hear Part 2!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum