• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tutorial questions

Share/Bookmark

Tutorial questions

I'm writing a tutorial on how to create timpani rolls through notation and sequencer editing. I'd like to get some facts straight before I publish it online, so I could use a bit of help with a few questions:

1. Finale is the only score program I've ever used. Do the other commonly-used notation programs (such as Sibelius) have similar functions with layering in staves, a randomization feature for key velocities and note durations, and do they work basically the same with the way you define tuplets?

2. Ditto on Cubase. Is Cubase's 384-tick-per-quarter note convention the common standard among sequencers, or are there different conventions used by different sequencers?

Thanks!

Steve Johnson

Re: Tutorial questions

Timpani rolls are available in SAM's Timpani, good sounds, even the free version had them. If you wish, I can send you the free version (I do not think it is available any more).
    I use Sonar 6 SE, and my quarter notes are set to 120 ticks. This makes a 1/64 note 7.5 ticks, but in Sonar it is simply a click to set the time base to your need.
    Using Sonar 6 ( again, since I have never used Cubase) you have a Staff View, where you can click-enter on the staff the notes, or using the Event View you can enter the notes via your computer keyboard. For the job you are doing, probably the best would be the Event View, where the time, the note, the velocity and the duration is easy to enter. and enter it exactly.
    Looking forward for your tutorial...

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Timpani rolls are available in SAM's Timpani, good sounds, even the free version had them. If you wish, I can send you the free version (I do not think it is available any more).
    I use Sonar 6 SE, and my quarter notes are set to 120 ticks. This makes a 1/64 note 7.5 ticks, but in Sonar it is simply a click to set the time base to your need.
    Using Sonar 6 ( again, since I have never used Cubase) you have a Staff View, where you can click-enter on the staff the notes, or using the Event View you can enter the notes via your computer keyboard. For the job you are doing, probably the best would be the Event View, where the time, the note, the velocity and the duration is easy to enter. and enter it exactly.
    Looking forward for your tutorial...

Ted
    Hi, Ted!

Thanks much for your reply. I already heard from someone else about the fact that Sonar actually has different settings for ticks-per-quarter note. Since the 384-tick standard in Cubase is the math I used to develop my sequencer-editing methods for timpani rolls, I did add an instruction in my tutorial for non-Cubase users to go with the 384-tick setting in their sequencers, so that should be fine.

I appreciate your kind offer on the free version of SAM's timpani. I am using Garritan Personal Orchestra with Kontakt Player 2. Unfortunately, KP2 does not allow using third-party patches, so I pretty much have to stick with what's in their GPO library. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, because for the most part I really like their instrument sounds. That being the case, it would be interesting to get feedback from anyone who uses timpani roll patches and see what they think of my timp rolls vs. what they have. Speaking of...

I'm still pretty new to the Northern Sounds Forum, so I could use a bit of guidance on posting. When my tutorial is online, I'll post an announcement on the Tips, Techniques & Tutorials forum at Garritan Central. Since my timpani roll tutorial is not strictly for GPO users, is there another forum here at Northern Sounds I should post my announcement to?

Thanks!

Steve

Hi Steve:

I believe KP2 will import .gig files and convert them automatically.
    If you will publish as you are planing to do, we will get it. Maybe, if you wish to be generous, put a small announcement in the Giga tech. forum too, your work will be of interest to all.
    Are you a timpanist? I am yellow with envy!

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Hi Steve:

I believe KP2 will import .gig files and convert them automatically.
    If you will publish as you are planing to do, we will get it. Maybe, if you wish to be generous, put a small announcement in the Giga tech. forum too, your work will be of interest to all.
    Are you a timpanist? I am yellow with envy!

Ted
    Hi, Ted!

I'm intrigued about what you said re. KP2. I went to the NI website and searched their Knowledge base about this. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a "lack of knowledge base" (they usually are), so I don't know if the .gig import is possible or how I'd do it. Now, I did look through the Garritan Personal Orchestra manual for KP2 and it says "Kontakt Player 2 is only able to play libraries specifically for it. KP2 is not able to load general Kontakt patches, nor is it able to import libraries from other formats. To do these things, you must own the full version of Kontakt 2." So, and again unfortunately, it sounds like I wouldn't be able to do what you suggested. Too bad, because I'd be curious to audition some looped timp roll samples and see what their quality is like.

As to your question, I'm not a timpanist myself, but I spent a number of years playing in community orchestras, so I do have some degree of observation I was able to factor in with the development of my methods. In fact, once I publish my tutorial online, I hope to get feedback from current and/or former timpani players on how close (or not close) to the mark I'm getting. I will of course be open to any suggestions for improvement from actual timpanists, so I'll have to call my tutorial 1.0 in case I need to update it on pieces of advice.

Thanks for your recommendation on posting an announcement on the Giga tech forum, and I'll be sure to do that. ETA for online publication is this weekend. Unless I hit a major snag, that announcement should appear on the forums Friday night or Saturday.

Thanks again, Ted!

Steve

Go Back to forum