• Register
  • Help

Topic: Palatine Hill

Palatine Hill

HI everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted here in a while, but this piece took me a particularly long time:

Palatine Hill is one of the oldest sites in Rome, and is believed to be the hill on which the city was originally founded. According to legend it was here that Romulus and Remus were nursed by the She-Wolf. The hill holds many ruins from the Roman Empire, including the original Emperial Palace.

In this overture I have attempted to depict the stillness and ancient majesty that is so palpable on Palatine Hill, the corporeal sounds of the place (the wind in the trees, the birds singing) and the emotional impact of visiting the site and leaving enriched.

Southern Ontario, Canada

Re: Palatine Hill

Hi Matthew;
    I gave this a listen and found it quite evocative. I know for a fact you always will have a lot of spooks hanging around such historic places, so that visiting them carries a certain amount of liability. Then again, writing music about the experience later may be a good way of exorcising them, or, maybe it wasn't that at all!
    But, whatever, I enjoyed this piece, thank you for posting!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Palatine Hill

Thank sd. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Being there didn't give me the feeling of "ghosts" so much as their was just a palpable sense of how OLD the place was. You could almost feel it in the wind up there!

Go Back to forum