• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem with JABB and Sonar 8.3.1

Share/Bookmark

Problem with JABB and Sonar 8.3.1

Just got my Garritan Jazz and Big Band package. Installed it on my Windows XP system. Every thing installed and activated OK. And, I can insert a VST soft synth track (2 tracks) and load up a channel with any instrument and play it in real time on my MIDI keyboard. I can even record from sonar -- the sample plays back while I'm recording. However, Once I try to play it back, no sound. In fact, I don't even have to record -- once I do a "play" in Sonar, the samples won't play back -- not from a track, not real time from the MIDI keyboard, not from the keyboard inside if the Kontact plugin.

By the way, Kontact does seem to recognize that I'm pressing keys on my MIDI keyboard. Still no sound, tho.

If it's relevant, I'm using a MOTU Traveler (firewire) for sound. Also, using EZ Drummer, Stylus RMX, TruePianos, ....no problems with any of those. And, my JABB experiment fails even when it's the only thing in my test project.

Any ideas?

Re: Problem with JABB and Sonar 8.3.1

You must record CC1 (Modulation) information when playing the instruments or you will get no sound. They will reset to 0 when you stop Sonar unless you add this info. Make sure you record CC1 info before playing and ride it constantly while the notes are sounding. Remember that a real instrument rarely plays at the same volume.

Jim

That was it -- thanx! Sorry, I now see that it does say that in the manual. It just didn't sink in (especially because I heard the instruments when I first loaded the plug). Wow, that's different from anything else I have (other plugs, synth modules, etc.). That's going to take some getting used to.

Do people actually do that? I mean express each not uniquely with the mod wheel? That's a ton of work. My MIDI controller is a Roland RD700. The "joystick" has lots of left/right travel for the pitch bend but very little up/down travel for modulation. I'll mostly be doing well just to keep it pegged to make sure my notes are sounding. Guess I'll study Sonar some more to see if there's a way to do a little of that automatically.

Thanks again, Haydn.

The CC1 controller allows more than volume control. It also controls timbre along with volume. CC7 or CC11 only allow volume.

Does the RD700 have a programable fader?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Does the RD700 have a programable fader?

Jim
    Great idea. With a little reading, I found a knob I can assign to CC01.

And so the learning begins....

Quote Originally Posted by vinceg View Post
    Just got my Garritan Jazz and Big Band package. Installed it on my Windows XP system. Every thing installed and activated OK. And, I can insert a VST soft synth track (2 tracks) and load up a channel with any instrument and play it in real time on my MIDI keyboard. I can even record from sonar -- the sample plays back while I'm recording. However, Once I try to play it back, no sound. In fact, I don't even have to record -- once I do a "play" in Sonar, the samples won't play back -- not from a track, not real time from the MIDI keyboard, not from the keyboard inside if the Kontact plugin.

By the way, Kontact does seem to recognize that I'm pressing keys on my MIDI keyboard. Still no sound, tho.

If it's relevant, I'm using a MOTU Traveler (firewire) for sound. Also, using EZ Drummer, Stylus RMX, TruePianos, ....no problems with any of those. And, my JABB experiment fails even when it's the only thing in my test project.

Any ideas?
    Thanks you for the post.
    Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Movies online free?

Hmm, now that doesn't sound right...

B

Go Back to forum