• Register
  • Help

Topic: More tutorial questions

Share/Bookmark

More tutorial questions

I'm putting the finishing touches on my timpani roll tutorial, but I want to get a few facts straight before I publish it online. I posted these questions on the notation/sequencing forum, but got no replies, so I'm hoping someone can help me here. I need answers to the following ASAP:

1. Finale is the only score program I've ever used. Do the other commonly-used notation programs (such as Sibelius) have similar functions with cross-staff notation, a randomization feature for key velocities, and do they work basically the same with the way you define tuplets?

2. Ditto on Cubase. Is Cubase's 384-tick-per-quarter note convention the common standard among sequencers, or are there different conventions used by different sequencers?

Thanks!

Steve Johnson

Re: More tutorial questions

I can only speak for my own sequencer, which is Sonar 3.5. It allows me to choose between 48, 72, 96, 120, 144, 168, 192, 216, 240, 360, 384, 480, 600, 720 and 960 ticks per quarter note.

I use the 960 setting, which is probably overkill.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: More tutorial questions

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    I can only speak for my own sequencer, which is Sonar 3.5. It allows me to choose between 48, 72, 96, 120, 144, 168, 192, 216, 240, 360, 384, 480, 600, 720 and 960 ticks per quarter note.

I use the 960 setting, which is probably overkill.

Regards,
    Hi, Larry!

I've certainly heard of Sonar, but since I've never used it this is really good to know. My guess is what you described would be pretty much the industry standard for sequencers. That being the case, it sounds like if my tutorial instructs non-Cubase users to set their sequencers to 384 ticks per quarter note, this would cover my bases (or Cubases, as it were ).

Thanks much -- I really appreciate your help!

Steve

Go Back to forum