• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO 1.x - changing location

Share/Bookmark

GPO 1.x - changing location

Hey, guys.

Long time no see, hope everyone's been doing well!

Been doing some mainenance on my studio box and need to move my GPO installation to a different drive / folder. Not sure how / what to edit so that the VST instruments in Sonar find the new location.

The Readme in C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra indicates a version number of 1.0.2.008 (using the NI engine).

Can anyone shed light on how best to do this? I'm hoping to find a simpler path than going the uninstall / resinstall route.

Thanks,

Chris
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: GPO 1.x - changing location

Click the Options button of the standalone and then the button left of the library path to browse for the new location.

Hi, Nickie.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've done as you recommended, and while that worked for the standalone app, when opening a project in Sonar that uses the GPO VST plugin, I get an error message for each sample (where OldPath is the previous location of the lib):

could not find sample:

E:\OldPath\GPO Library\<GPO_Library_part3.nks>\Viola Samples\VlaF#5.wav

find it automatically or locate it manually?

The AutoFind button is enabled, the Find button is disabled. If I select Abort Loading or Ignore for each instance and get the project up, I can bring up the Synth rack, pull up a GPO player, click options, and sure enough, it's pointing to the new path that I set via your suggestion. However, my project doesn't seem to honor this change.

Creating a new project, however, now works appropriately as does adding a new GPO instance in an existing project. However, I'd naturally like to avoid having to go through each and every project, delete the old synths, add new ones, recreate the instruments and settings, etc.

Do you know of a way to get an existing project to recognize the new directory?

Thanks,

Chris
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I doubt there's any automatic way to deal with this problem. At least, I don't know of one. All plugin settings are saved with the project; apparently this includes the library path. I'm guessing the easiest solution is to just let the plugin search for the samples. If you choose "Manual" you can quickly point it to the library folder. With a bit of luck it will remember this folder for the remaining instances of the project. And you won't have to set up the plugins anew.

I was thinking that might be the case. Oh, well. You got me set up for all new projects, so for the pre-existing ones it's a matter of updating the settings.

By the way, since I'm seeing GPO4 now and I'm on 1.x, I was wondering if you have any experience with the new version. Mainly I'm wondering if I upgrade, will my existing projects play nice with the new version, or will there be some sort of conversion process similar to what I'm doing with the new directory?

If I'm gonna go through the projects, may as well only do it once.

Thanks!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Don't know about GPO4; I am using GPO2 in Kontakt 3.5. But, one thing I do know, is if you upgrade to GPO4 you will have to either stick to GPO1 in existing projects re the way I outlined, or delete the old GPO1 instances and replace them with GPO4 instances, which have to be set up from scratch. Could be a lot of work.

Yeah, kinda figured that would be the case. Honestly, the only motivation to move to 4 would be the Aria engine, i.e. getting away from NI, and that's not a critical consideration at the moment.

You've been a lot of help - sure do appreciate it. Hope you have a good holiday season!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan View Post
    Honestly, the only motivation to move to 4 would be the Aria engine, i.e. getting away from NI
    Another option is to upgrade to GPO KP2 (free) and then use these new patches with KP4. KP4 is much better than KP1. Still a lot of work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan View Post
    Hope you have a good holiday season!
    Thanks - same to you!

Go Back to forum