• Register
  • Help

Topic: MOLCP3 vs ipMidi

Share/Bookmark

MOLCP3 vs ipMidi

I'm a long-time user of MIDIOverLan. In fact, I've been using Version 1 pretty much flawlessly for a decade.

I recently upgraded my main machine to Windows 7 64-bit and my outdated version of MidiOverLan no longer works. I checked back with MusicLab only to find out that MidiOverLan is now quite expensive, way more expensive than when I purchased my version originally. I will shell out the cash if necessary but considering the entire new machine was only $1200, paying another $200 just to get MIDI working again seems excessive.

I noticed that ipMidi is much more reasonably priced. Does anyone have any experiences with it (good or bad)? Thanks.
    Jamie Hall
    Film Composer
    http://www.JamieHall.net

Re: MOLCP3 vs ipMidi

When I tested ipMidi it did not work here whereas MOL simply worked like snap. That is why I bought it, but that was a time ago.

Couldn't you ask for an upgrade from version 1 to 3? The latest version of MOL should work with Windows 7.

If I would consider it again today I would also have a look at VSL's Vienna Ensemble Pro as well. The only beef I have with it is that there are issues with SIPS.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Good idea Hannes, yes there IS an upgrade price that is pretty good and makes the decision to go with MOL3 easy. Thanks!
    Jamie Hall
    Film Composer
    http://www.JamieHall.net

Thumbs up Re: MOLCP3 vs ipMidi

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_H View Post
    I'm a long-time user of MIDIOverLan. In fact, I've been using Version 1 pretty much flawlessly for a decade.

I recently upgraded my main machine to Windows 7 64-bit and my outdated version of MidiOverLan no longer works. I checked back with MusicLab only to find out that MidiOverLan is now quite expensive, way more expensive than when I purchased my version originally. I will shell out the cash if necessary but considering the entire new machine was only $1200, paying another $200 just to get MIDI working again seems excessive.
    I noticed that ipMidi is much more reasonably priced. Does anyone have any experiences with it (good or bad)? Thanks.
    This is exactly my situation and feelings, only I am using XP 64. Several factors.
    1) You can DL a test version of ipMidi and try it out and see if it works.
    2) So far ipMIDI has worked fine for me.
    3) I plan to use Vienna Ensemble Pro on four of my systems but have not tested it yet. Soon though.
    4) You can get some use out of your MOL by making one of your slaves a sort of router: Use ipMidi (20 ports!) between your DAW and Slave router. Use something like MidiOx to patch between ipMIDI and MOL. Like:
    DAW ->ipMIDI===>SlaveRouter->ipMidi->MidiOx->MOL====>Other Slaves.
    This way you can still control your slaves from the DAW, only you are routing through the router slave.
    5) ipMidi says license for three computers, so at least two slaves can be controlled directly from your DAW.
    6) Make sure all of your network is gigabit network.
    7) Vienna Ensemble Pro, 4 computer license, three slaves covered.

Chew on THAT!

Perhaps I will let y'all know how this works out. So far my DAW is dual boot XP 32/64, and I am trying to figure out how to get my libs working. heh...

Edit: Boy, I can surprise myself for overlooking the obvious. Doh! In the example above, substitute Plogue Bidule (the best darned program in the Midi world!!) for Midi-OX. I have been doing some tests with this setup, and it works like a charm. I love being able to set up things in a visual way. Now to set up for the entire studio!
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by dwdonehoo View Post
    4) You can get some use out of your MOL by making one of your slaves a sort of router:
    Only problem is MOL 1 will not even install on W7x64.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_H View Post

Send them an email. I think there is an upgrade price. I would be interested to see what the upgrade price is.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
    Send them an email. I think there is an upgrade price. I would be interested to see what the upgrade price is.
    About $50 off of fairly expensive.

----

No, old MOL will not install on 64 bit. Which is why my slave router system is Win XP 32 bit. And the method I wrote about works very well.
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Go Back to forum