• Register
  • Help

Topic: Interview with Robert Neufield, Composer

Share/Bookmark

Interview with Robert Neufield, Composer

Hello all....

This past Thanksgiving I watched "Desperate Crossing," a History Channel special movie about the true story of the Mayflower's desperate voyage. I had actually seen the film the year before, and was struck with it then. But this year I watched the film via DVD on my Mac monitor, under headphones, and this brought the score to the forefront.

I was particularly impressed by Neufield's underscoring, especially in the first sequences of the film, before the voyage begins. We all tend to get caught up in the impressive sounds of a well written Main Title or closing credit sequence, but the tough part for all composers comes in knowing when, and what to write under dialogue. Or even IF to write.

Neufield's score is noticeable to me for how adept his underscoring is, and how he manages to incorporate both traditional orchestral, ethnic sounds, and electronic accents and have it all work together well as a whole.

I contacted Robert and he has graciously agreed to an interview about his approach on this project, which I'll hopefully be doing with him January as he is busy finishing three (3!) films by Xmas. I told him I thought we might all get something out of his words in our forum up here at NS, and he thought it was a fine idea.

So if any of you have any questions, please email them to me at oceantracks@mac.com, or simply post them here in this thread and I'll try to pick some to include in the interview. Obviously it would be helpful if you have seen the film, it is available for purchase at Amazon, or via History Channel, or I see that several bits (and maybe the whole thing) are up on YouTube.

Thanks and I hope after viewing you share my surprise at how well this underbudgeted and short scheduled special came out, and how wonderful the score is!

Best
    Tom Hartman
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Re: Interview with Robert Neufield, Composer

why??toi khong hieu vi sao het!????????????

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
    Hello all....

This past Thanksgiving I watched "Desperate Crossing," a History Channel special movie about the true story of the Mayflower's desperate voyage. I had actually seen the film the year before, and was struck with it then. But this year I watched the film via DVD on my Mac monitor, under headphones, and this brought the score to the forefront.

I was particularly impressed by Neufield's underscoring, especially in the first sequences of the film, before the voyage begins. We all tend to get caught up in the impressive sounds of a well written Main Title or closing credit sequence, but the tough part for all composers comes in knowing when, and what to write under dialogue. Or even IF to write.

Neufield's score is noticeable to me for how adept his underscoring is, and how he manages to incorporate both traditional orchestral, ethnic sounds, and electronic accents and have it all work together well as a whole.

I contacted Robert and he has graciously agreed to an interview about his approach on this project, which I'll hopefully be doing with him January as he is busy finishing three (3!) films by Xmas. I told him I thought we might all get something out of his words in our forum up here at NS, and he thought it was a fine idea.

So if any of you have any questions, please email them to me at oceantracks@mac.com, or simply post them here in this thread and I'll try to pick some to include in the interview. Obviously it would be helpful if you have seen the film, it is available for purchase at Amazon, or via History Channel, or I see that several bits (and maybe the whole thing) are up on YouTube.

Thanks and I hope after viewing you share my surprise at how well this underbudgeted and short scheduled special came out, and how wonderful the score is!

Best
    Tom Hartman
    Read more: hoteles en cancun, viajes a cancun, vacaciones en cancun, ... Tarifas, informacion y reservaciones de los mejores hoteles en cancun, tours, autos y traslados redondos desde el aeropuerto, Encuentralos aqui hasta con 40% de descuento.

Re: Interview with Robert Neufield, Composer

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
    Hello all....

Best
    Tom Hartman

Go Back to forum