• Register
  • Help

Topic: XSample Strings please opine

Share/Bookmark

XSample Strings please opine

Since we\'re all about strings these days, could those who have used XSample\'s solo strings (including the new disks #10 and #11) comment on their playability and sound quality/realism. Could you compare to Dan Dean\'s solo strings. There demos are some of the better ones out there. I would like to get some field experience/comments though.

I only ask to compare to Dan Dean\'s Solo strings, because I can\'t get a good enough angle on DDSS from the demo\'s and snippets I\'ve heard.

And while on the subject, I\'m thoroughly impress with the Xsample sound just judging from their demos on their orchestral stuff; the demos make the library (woodwinds and solo brass and solo strings) sound fairly awesome in the realism department. Any opinions here appreciated, too --as I think I might add some of these intruments to my setup.

Thanks,
    Mahlon

p.s. Already using Miroslav and AO and Kirk Hunter so I know what these sound like if you want to compare.

Re: XSample Strings please opine

I have all the solo strings from x-sample as well as the Dan Dean solo strings.
    x-sample has about four Cds total with solo strings. There is the volume with all the strings where everything is either struck or plucked....these are very good except for the contrabass. The bass spicc is ok. the bass pizz is terrible. If you want a good bass pizz, get Dan Dean\'s bass collection. The cello vibrato is great and goes well the pizz/spicc samples. These strings work really with Mr. Dean\'s solo strings, however I don\'t care for the updates, they sound better to me from the original CD.
    The sustained strings from the later x-sample volumes are good, but they are all non-vibrato. I like the harmonics...very realistic sounding. The tremolos are as good as Mr. Dean strings, just slightly different. The standard bowing work well with early music, and they sometimes work with other styles, but I am used to vibrato anyway. If you have Vivaldi, Bach, Handel, ect. you will be in great shape. I think for new modern music, these sustain strings would work...I use them every now and then.
    I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.
    Have you used the two libraries (xsample, DDSS) mixed together in small ensemble situation? I\'m wondering if the DD strings might layer some vibrato over the top of xsample to make a nice chamber sound.

Thanks,
    mahlon

I mix those two libries frequently. If you like, I have a demo that I have created using both.
    my email is dhrott@sunflower.com http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/271/dh_rottering.html
    Try this address as well for some additional demos.

If you want to add vibrato to the non-vibrato sustained solo strings from the later X-Sample volumes, it may be a good idea to use a breath controller or ribbon controller assigned to pitch bend.

Nicholas

Go Back to forum